Thread: which version to install??

which version to install??

Just started the download/install process. Got the 1st ~20meg batch of install files. When I clicked on 'sldIM.exe', I was given 4 choices: individual, Administrative image, server products, and 'download and share all files'.

I'd like to install on both my home desktop and my shop desktop (both on the same LAN). Anyone know which type of install to pick?

Bonus question, Is the software at all usable with basic video cards? Both computers have quad core processors (one Intel, one AMD) with 8 gigs of ram and Win7 64 bit operating systems, and integrated graphics (one HDMI, one Displayport). Initially, I'd be using the software for very simple objects with the goal of 3D printing.

Thanks,

Charlie

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Hi Charlie,

My guess is that yoou should install the "share all files" because I'm assuming you want both your desktops to have access to the same files. Note that sharing files like this across the LAN can load the LAN quite heavily - SW files can get quite large.
    The administrative image is for large installations where the site administrator needs to be able to make installations quickly, and the server products include things like floating licences etc.
    The "individual" installation will also work for you, but the software will store your files locally on each desktop. This can be a little inconvenient because you have to copy files from desktop to desktop, but this is a small price to pay due to the lower LAN loading.

Bonus answer: The software will probably run with basic video cards but it will be quite slow because it will have to do all the graphics computing in software, as opposed to the more advanced cards that have OPENGL hardware.
    I have a 3D printer as well - great fun - I don't know how I managed before I bought it.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

Sounds 'individual' might be the way to go. I keep all my files (in general; not just CAD) on a network drive, but as you say, it would be simple to copy a file to a local computer for editing, and then transfer it back to the network drive for storage. My big concern was being unable to install multiple copies of the software itself. I'll go ahead with the installs, and if I decide I can learn it well enough to actually use it, I'll consider upgrading the video card(s).

I don't have a 3D printer, but my local community college has multiple Dremel printers, a Markforged carbon fiber printer, and a large format printer with a 3' x 3' x 20" print area, and multiple 2D cutters, engravers, etc. All are available to the public, so my biggest limit is my own knowledge. :-)

Charlie
    Last edited by rv7charlie; 02-04-2018 at 12:13 PM.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
    .... but my local community college has multiple Dremel printers, a Markforged carbon fiber printer, and a large format printer with a 3' x 3' x 20" print area, and multiple 2D cutters, engravers, etc. All are available to the public...
    Charlie
    Now you're making me jealous

Jeffrey