Thread: Airflow

Airflow

Is there any airflow simulation available for this SW package.
    I am trying to optimize a double slotted flap system for the plane I have designed and am currently building.
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com
    Scratchbuilding a Piper J4 lookalike.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Hi CharlieN,

SolidWorks FloXpress Simulation Package is probably available in the EAA package, but ...
    1. This CFD package is very basic - it is all a question of expectations.
    2. CFD is pretty compute intensive and FloXpress reduces this by drastically reducing the number of flow lines and by increasing the mesh size.
    3. FloXpress does not give you forces and pressure values - at best you will get a very rough picture of the flow lines - nice, interesting, but of limited value.
    4. FloXpress does not involve turbulent flow (a basic problem with the most expensive CFD packages, let alone FloXpress).
    5. Don't expect to be able to simulate anything other than simple 3D models - in your case probably only a 2D section of the wing and slotted flap.

Apologies for being the party pooper

Jeffrey

Thank you Jeff,
    To me the truth is far more important than false expectations.
    SW in some marketing documents claims they predict or show airflow around and trough objects. It would only be a dream if they would fairly accurately show the flow over and around DS flaps.
    A 2D representation would be fine for my needs but with some level of numbers would be nice but if it appears it will not accurately depict the transitions between clean and turbulent flow then it may not be worth my time.
    I think I have the airfoil with flaps and ailerons in pretty good shape but at this time just with neutral and full extent positions. My interest in full range analysis is the truly time consuming part of this task.
    Regards,
    CharlieN
    President Chapter 968
    Greenmountainflyers.com
    Scratchbuilding a Piper J4 lookalike.

Perhaps someone like Jeffrey would be kind enough to bring your model into his full version of SOLIDWORKS?