Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Nervous First Time Passengers for a Flight - VIDEO

Big Grin Taking Nervous First Time Passengers for a Flight - VIDEO

So I'm back at it again! Back in July, my friends Lynne and Cassidy were brave enough to give flying a try.
    We took a quick hop up from KMWC (Milwaukee's Timmerman Field) to KHXF (Hartford, WI - Home of the Cub Club and the Cubs2OSH Mass Arrivals).
    They were pretty nervous, but we picked the right night. It was one of those quintessential Wisconsin summer nights. Perfect air. Perfect sun.
    After some pep talks and reassurances (If you aren't having fun, we're landing) we took to the sky and had a blast.
    We might even have a future pilot in our midst.

As always, would love my EAA brothers' and sisters' feedback on this!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Ryan - nice job! You did, in fact, shave the legs on this one!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Fun little video, thanks for sharing.
    Ya got any videos for nervous pilots?

Good video Ryan, but the still picture of you is zombie like. That look reminds me of the guys in WOLF OF WALL STREET when they take a little Qualudes and then decide it must not be working so they take two more doses. Hey, who needs to walk if you can crawl. But one question, what did you mean by "three in the green" when you are in a fixed gear plane and on the takeoff roll, never heard that one?

Great video. You really captured the fun and joy of flying with friends

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    But one question, what did you mean by "three in the green" when you are in a fixed gear plane and on the takeoff roll, never heard that one?
    ....oil temp, oil pressure, suction??

Enjoyed the video.

When a buddy and myself have flown some friends for the first time whom were very nervous, we made them part of the flight. Meaning, they went through the walk around with us. We then showed them everything needed to open and close the doors, adjust the seat and what not. Then before the engine ever started we talked about our flight plan. What we would do if the engine quits at certain points. Meaning if we have just left the ground what we would do. If it quits at the end of the runway or above the end of said runway what we would do. The field we would land in. We even discussed such things as what air speed we will be at when we rotate. What speed we will be climbing out at and what speed we would be cruising at. You could see all this talk about engine outs was concerning to them, but you could also see that because we discussed this plan at every stage of flight it relaxed them. It really did calm them down knowing the people in control that they were planing ahead.

How we did it.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-30-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Excellent video! Keep em' coming!

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Ryan - nice job! You did, in fact, shave the legs on this one!
    Thanks Hal! Appreciate you watching! Next time I'm flying into an uncontrolled field maybe I'll add it into the radio call. "7MA Short Final 29, Gonna shave the legs on this one"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Good video Ryan, but the still picture of you is zombie like. That look reminds me of the guys in WOLF OF WALL STREET when they take a little Qualudes and then decide it must not be working so they take two more doses. Hey, who needs to walk if you can crawl. But one question, what did you mean by "three in the green" when you are in a fixed gear plane and on the takeoff roll, never heard that one?
    Hey Bill! Floatsflyer is right - oil temp, pressure, and suction (though our plane doesn't have a vacuum system anymore, so I guess Fuel Flow?). I've received that feedback a bunch and I agree it's a little weird, was just how I was trained by one of my instructors. Definitely might be a habit to break when I move up to more complex aircraft.