Thread: Spinning Cylinder Mount Stud - Contiental O-200

Spinning Cylinder Mount Stud - Contiental O-200

Happy New Year to all.

This one has me scratching my head. I bought a O-200 for a project and want to disassemble it. One of the cylinder studs just spins. The nut is still on the stud and the stud spins easily with the nut, but the stud isn't coming out and won't seem to go in (clockwise, towards the crankcase) or pull out (counter clockwise) either - it's just loose.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get the nut off the stud (there's not much room) or get the stud out? Your help would be appreciated.

Um, is there a cylinder base nut on the other side of the engine spinning too? On the other end of a case through bolt? You should have an O-200 parts book and overhaul manual in hand even when you are tearing down an engine.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

The inner-most 7/16 studs (the big side ones, not the smaller top and bottom ones) on clys 2 and 3 share a through bolt, not a stud threaded into the case like the rest. Simply needs a wrench on the other end.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Um, is there a cylinder base nut on the other side of the engine spinning too? On the other end of a case through bolt? You should have an O-200 parts book and overhaul manual in hand even when you are tearing down an engine.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have an overhaul manual and had consulted it and had done a few online searches before posting here. Yes, it was the "through bolt/stud" which I finally noticed was moving on the opposite side, too (a point I'd missed in the overhaul manual).

Now I've got a stripped nut stuck on a stud... Oh well, I wanted an education and I'm getting one. So I'm scratching my head again - no wonder I'm getting thin on the top.

Since you’re going to replace the through bolt anyway, the use of vice grips, heat wrenches and vulgarity are all acceptable to get the nut off one end or the other.

Good luck. BTW those through bolts are around $100 each. And you need two. A small price relative to the total overhaul cost.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Since you’re going to replace the through bolt anyway, the use of vice grips, heat wrenches and vulgarity are all acceptable to get the nut off one end or the other.

Good luck. BTW those through bolts are around $100 each. And you need two. A small price relative to the total overhaul cost.
    Thanks for the advice Jeff. Vice grips, heat and other techniques haven't yet helped me with the stripped nut (just to be clear, it's not on the through bolt). Back to work tomorrow, so I'll pick task up on Friday or Saturday.

If the nut is stripped and just spins the nut needs to be split and removed. With a small Dremel wheel or something to cut one side and open it up. Wedge scrap steel to protect case.
    First, try prying the nut while turning off to start a new thread.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-28-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDS View Post
    Happy New Year to all.

This one has me scratching my head. I bought a O-200 for a project and want to disassemble it. One of the cylinder studs just spins. The nut is still on the stud and the stud spins easily with the nut, but the stud isn't coming out and won't seem to go in (clockwise, towards the crankcase) or pull out (counter clockwise) either - it's just loose.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get the nut off the stud (there's not much room) or get the stud out? Your help would be appreciated.
    Before pitching some of those through bolts....some of the engine machine places in Tulsa mentioned some TCM engines would be better off using the old bolts as some of the new ones were questionable to them. Mark at Custom Airmotive is a great source to check with! Just a thought. 73 and good luck, Lynn
    Last edited by lynnlpitts; 01-29-2018 at 05:31 PM.