Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I buy an E-AB at Flight Test?

(2) Be the primary builder of the aircraft to which the privileges of the certificate are applicable;

All that's missing is a comprehensive definition for "primary builder"

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    (2) Be the primary builder of the aircraft to which the privileges of the certificate are applicable;

All that's missing is a comprehensive definition for "primary builder"
    FSDOs, anecdotally, have been pretty liberal in their interpretation of "primary builder" especially in group builds. I for one would prefer to keep it that way.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I would say they consistently follow the 8900 guidance:

1) When a club, school, or partnership builds an aircraft, the FAA considers only one individual (such as the class instructor or designated project leader) for issuance of a Repairman Certificate for that aircraft.

No participation percentages or min hrs actually working on the project, only generic qualifiers. Looks like it's based mostly on the honor system.

Nonetheless, I think (personal opinion) it would be difficult to enter the partnership after the aircraft is completed and be designated "primary builder"

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I would say they consistently follow the 8900 guidance:

1) When a club, school, or partnership builds an aircraft, the FAA considers only one individual (such as the class instructor or designated project leader) for issuance of a Repairman Certificate for that aircraft.

No participation percentages or min hrs actually working on the project, only generic qualifiers. Looks like it's based mostly on the honor system.

Nonetheless, I think (personal opinion) it would be difficult to enter the partnership after the aircraft is completed and be designated "primary builder"
    Not without some very creative penmanship.

To be blunt, it sounds like the author of the thread wants the benefits of building an aircraft without actually building an aircraft; this is a dangerous proposition. The reason the builder gets the Repairman's Certificate is that he knows the aircraft from little bits of pieces to flying machine, and has knowledge of it beyond anyone else - even more than an A&P.

Every homebuilt is unique in its own way.

So the FAA has deemed that there are only two sets of folks that can judge whether an aircraft is fit for flight after repairs - the guy who actually assembled it and school trained and certified airplane mechanics. Of the two, the latter is at a disadvantage, as most homebuilts are similar but not identical to production aircraft. An A&P can refer to set manuals of repair and maintenance for a certified aircraft. None exist for experimentals, and indeed none of them truly apply. Yes, if one is using an aviation engine things are simplified - there are manuals for them - but none of the AD's apply.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.