Thread: What are steel & aluminum tube sizes used in frame of Curtiss planes of the 20s

Goggles What are steel & aluminum tube sizes used in frame of Curtiss planes of the 20s

I am contemplating on building an Curtiss Falcon O-1/ A3. I am drawing up plans but have no info on correct size of tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great plane, but a big project, good luck! Contact the Curtiss museum in Hammondsport NY, they probably do not have the information, but may have some leads on where to find it, original Curtiss factory drawings for some of the planes are around still. Smithsonian might have drawings, and the Airforce Museum in Dayton may have the original military reports on structural tests and flight tests. I think a museum in the northwest got a lot of Curtiss factory documents donated some years ago.

Big Grin Serching for info.

Thanks for you reply. I have already contacted The Curtiss Museum they say Blue prints and production drawings were donated to WPAFB many years ago by Curtiss -wright corp. WPAF Museum on there web site states everything was forwarded to NASM. and Smithsonian. My reply just today from them they have correspondence but no blue prints. and for me to try NARA's Cartographic Branch (RDSC). So I sent off an inquiry to them to see what they have. Love gov. run a round. I did find some Curtiss Production photos. But there photo viewing system is very bad. you can only view the photo with 1/4 your screen size in the center. they are High res. images but to see them in Hi-res. you only get 1/8 the picture. Useing two photo programs i got them view-able . two samples below.

The Air Force Museun has a Curtiss P6E Hawk on display, and I think the Smithsonian has a couple of 30's Curtiss planes, either on display, or in storage. A request, if presented properly , and being persistent, can get you the opportunity to get close look to measure and photograph to your hearts content. I have even had them open panels for a better look inside.

Guess it will be a while before I get a reply now. National archives web sit is down. Thanks dems.

I wish I could help you in your possible project, as I'm a huge fan of the Curtiss biplanes.
    If you start this project, please post some photos.

I most defiantly will when I do get started in the building faze. lot of prep do do first. I was corresponding to Mr. Sauser when he was designing His 82* scale P6-E. and didn't buy a set of plans. I am still kicking my self for not doing so. his widow will not sell anymore plans. Mr.Sauer used a HO crate chevy 350. I plan on using a BMW V12. Should be a little more power close to 375- 400HP . which is close to the Curtiss D12 series. AND IT IS A V 12!
    Last edited by Mark Thompson; 01-21-2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling

In seeking STC's and other aircraft modification information, I have filed Freedom of Information requests with the FAA...very nice people to work with and very quick(in Gov't time) response. Give them every detail and sources you have contacted. I have always enjoyed the group at the Curtiss Museum. Great people without the Prima Donna atmosphere. Good luck es 73!

lynnpitts , good idea might just do that.