Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob to AirVenture

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    You have misinterpreted my response. I am in full agreement with your comments and your pointed observation. It is correct and indisputable. You are NOT hypocrytical, EAA's policy IS hypocrytical. They are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

AAAAAH........makes more sense now.....

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't mind the golf carts like before 8:00 and lets say after 6:00 pm, but not when the rest of us are trying to walk around or catch a "tram" I understand that sometimes products need to move around, but seeing some 18 Year old driving a cart just because they have a special wrist band or necklaces makes no sense to me.

The first time I went to Oshkosh, my wife and I spend 3 days dodging golf carts driven as if they had the right-of-way everywhere, and it was really annoying. The next year it was MUCH better. Last year, mixed bag but I only had to play dodge-em around the exhibit hangars.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

'17 was the first year we camped there for a few days.....I can understand the traffic in camp Scholer, but being inside the fence and STILL having to dodge the bumper cars was VERY annoying. Probably my only gripe about my time there......except for kids who wouldn't listen, but that is my own problem.....

I'll have to tell you it is a whole lot better than it was. It used to be that every mickey mouse vendor got a car pass and would drive their vehicles through the crowds during the show. The EAA finally got (after I suggested it for years) professional and made people use the expo service company to move freight and restricted the movement during the "open" hours.

Even the golf cart traffic is much more restricted than it used to be. On the other hand, I've gotten rides from some of the VIPs like Hal Sheevers and some of the chairs that I didn't know when I was hoofing from the North 40 back down to vintage.

So, as far as the social inequity of it, you're out of luck the EAA doesn't care. If you see a cart being operated unsafely, talk to security. I've generally found they have no problem being a hardass to anybody no matter what their status.

But if you think the carts are bad, imagine what it would be like if they allowed everyone to have bikes and skateboards and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    But if you think the carts are bad, imagine what it would be like if they allowed everyone to have bikes and skateboards and the like.
    I imagine it would be much more enjoyable, because attendees would waste so much less time and effort traveling across the vast grounds, and there would be more availability of tram seats for those who need them, and it would be much safer because cyclists have to avoid pedestrians for their own safety.

I want the bike so that I can get into town or maybe see local attractions. It opens up everything in 5 - 10 mile radius.

I am in the market for RV-4. I want to look at lots of RV-4s while I'm there and maybe even buy one. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    I imagine it would be much more enjoyable, because attendees would waste so much less time and effort traveling across the vast grounds, and there would be more availability of tram seats for those who need them, and it would be much safer because cyclists have to avoid pedestrians for their own safety.
    You have a pretty good imagination, Doug
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

If you are parking/camping in Vintage it's only a couple blocks walk over to the bicycle parking area, so that remains an option for going off site. To dougbush - I'm a long time tram conductor - I am certain that adding bicycles to the throngs of pedestrians and vehicles already totally clogging the streets and walkways would be chaos and likely result in frequent injuries. The reality of the place is that on the show grounds there is no place to 'avoid' pedestrians for safety if on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The reality of the place is that on the show grounds there is no place to 'avoid' pedestrians for safety if on a bike.

Which is even more applicable to the dang golf carts........would LOVE a daytime moratorium on their use.....I personally would like to see tram/shuttle as the only wheeled transportation on the grounds during the day.

Not to beat this change of topic too long, but I am a volunteer, stay in the camp grounds, and ride a bike. Airventure grounds need to be redesigned to allow more bike corrals outside various gate locations to give easier access with less walking. Bikes should continue to be treated like cars, just more convenient parking locations. As for carts, the traffic is better, but the most improvement will come when some express routes for carts-only are designed inside the fenced grounds. That will greatly reduce the mingling of carts with pedestrians, but not eliminate it. I have been told that long range plans will address this. Carts are productive for volunteers, vendors and deliveries, so I don't see it being possible to totally eliminate them. And I agree that EAA staff is extremely good at giving rides to anyone in need.