Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noob to AirVenture

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The reality of the place is that on the show grounds there is no place to 'avoid' pedestrians for safety if on a bike.
    Randy! People ride bikes in downtown Chicago all the time! Cyclists successfully avoid pedestrians in the North 40 and Scholler and everywhere bikes are allowed. You can avoid pedestrians easier on a bike than on a scooter or golf cart or Volkswagen or tram.

I don’t expect EAA will let bikes in most of the showgrounds, but it would be nice if they’d open up more of the roads on the west side (inside the fence) for bicycles.

Doug, our Mayor has gone out of his way and into our wallets to create miles and miles of painted bike lanes on the ROADS in Chicago, the Loop pedestrians by and large are on the sidewalks where bikes are NOT allowed. Not the situation at AirVenture where everyone and every vehicle is trying to occupy the same space on the streets. I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 01-20-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Well, I'll say one thing about the golf carts. In 2011, my buddy and I were walking to the camp store on the last day of A/V and I know we looked worn out from the miles and miles of walking, (the walking, my God, the walking !) anyway, a cart pulled up and the driver ask if we wanted a ride. Being the smart ass that I can be, I almost said, Duh, ya think, but I didn't, and we had a most wonder conversation with none other than Paul, the man himself. Ended up getting a letter and autographed picture in the mail. That made the whole trip worth while.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Doug, our Mayor has gone out of his way and into our wallets to create miles and miles of painted bike lanes on the ROADS in Chicago, the Loop pedestrians by and large are on the sidewalks where bikes are NOT allowed. Not the situation at AirVenture where everyone and every vehicle is trying to occupy the same space on the streets. I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Randy, you must surely know that pedestrians in Chicago walk across the roads and bike lanes, and the cyclists and drivers yield to them according to traffic laws that work exactly the same in Oshkosh.

Like purt near every driver in Chicago.... I hate bicycles and their riders who actually often do NOT follow traffic laws.....and their stupid foam helmets too! - lol

I yield to EAA AirVenture management as being the decision makers on what is and what isn't a 'good' idea for the convention. To date that means restrictions that are clearly posted on the website. I have no doubt they are open to being convinced otherwise.....or not.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 01-21-2018 at 08:20 AM.