Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2018 Sport Aviation

January 2018 Sport Aviation

I want to acknowledge and applaud the January focus on entry level "Sport Aviation".
    My research indicates Private Pilots are declining about 6000 per year.
    This is not sustainable, of course, and promoting high end GA isn't the solution.
    So a good start for the new year, thanks and keep it coming.

It is indeed an excellent issue.

I've always considered the Breezy to be "too extreme" for my acrophobic limitations, but after reading the feature article........and watching some videos.......
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I thought the article on the "Chipper" homebuilt was pretty interesting. I do agree about the declining number of private pilots and looking around the local EAA chapter and our flying club most are well over 50 and many over 60/70. Let's fact it: the ability for the average Joe or Jill to own a plane, pay for the maintenance and storage prices most folks out of the picture. If I wasn't on a small strip, owned my hangar and legally able to do most of my maintenance I'd probably be out of business.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone, the feedback is greatly appreciated!

And Sam - I'm not wild about heights, either, but the Breezy is an absolute BLAST. A ton of fun, and, once you're more than 50 feet up or so, it's not "heights" any more. It's just flying, with an unbeatable view.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    *snip* Let's fact it: the ability for the average Joe or Jill to own a plane, pay for the maintenance and storage prices most folks out of the picture. If I wasn't on a small strip, owned my hangar and legally able to do most of my maintenance I'd probably be out of business.
    I'll politely call shenanigans on that. Lots of stories all the time about folks scrounging parts, etc., to put a plane together. Bigger issue is priorities, assumed or real. There's the financial side, which *could* be addressed by purchasing a 5-7 year old car instead of an "average" new car that's close to $50,000 nowadays, and using the monthly payment differential to finance a plane. Or give up purchased designer coffee. Of course, all those arguments have been written about for years. Emotionally, there's still the misplaced thought that a young husband is going to end up injured or worse, leaving a young family father- and income-less.

Sorry - didn't want to hijack the thread. I'll chime in as well - great issue!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Emotionally, there's still the misplaced thought that a young husband is going to end up injured or worse, leaving a young family father- and income-less.
    So he takes his cash and buys a motorcycle instead. [scatching head] GA has no marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    So he takes his cash and buys a motorcycle instead.
    Not often. Most bikes seem to be ridden by young, single guys (or at least those without a current wife and kid) or geezers. Yes, there are outliers, but they are just that. Hey, kinda like airplanes... and really fast cars.

I get it. I was young, poor and raising a family for a lot of years, and put off my lifelong dream of flying because of it. Never bought coffee in liquid form, drove used cars or kept the new ones until long after they were paid off. We didn't take expensive (or virtually any) vacations and had no expensive habits or hobbies. I don't care what you do, sometimes the money just plain isn't there. I didn't start flight training until all the kids had moved out and my income had increased above subsistence level.

I don't care what you do, flying isn't cheap. However -- I'll bet I know guys who spend more every year golfing than I do flying.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Guess I'd don't understand "shenanigans" regarding my post. Although I was always interested in flying I held off until I was over 40 and had my home paid off, etc. I may have the advantage of being a mechanic by trade, fairly handy and having an understanding IA but most folks are not in my situation. It really gets down to where someone wants to spend their 'disposable income' if in fact they have any. There are other considerations for one's income such as unexpected home repair, unexpected health care costs, etc. When I was away from home I thought I would check out renting an aircraft in Texas until I found out the rental cost was over $100 per hour not to mention the check ride and renters insurance. Besides that the FBO was not especially friendly so it was a short conversation.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    When I was away from home I thought I would check out renting an aircraft in Texas until I found out the rental cost was over $100 per hour not to mention the check ride and renters insurance. Besides that the FBO was not especially friendly so it was a short conversation.
    These two things were contributing factors for me as well. The FBO I talked to did their best to keep people away. Once I started training, I started looking at what it would actually cost me to use a rented airplane for what I really wanted, which was cross country travel with my sweetie and a couple of bags. The cost for anything other than a couple hours for a local burger run was staggering. As in, I could fly us both round trip on an airline, AND pay for a really nice hotel and rental car, for just the rental fee if we were going to go somewhere and stay a few days.

That got me looking at buying, which got me looking into building. Most people would have gotten discouraged and wandered off to play golf or buy a boat, but I tend to get stubborn.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone, the feedback is greatly appreciated!

And Sam - I'm not wild about heights, either, but the Breezy is an absolute BLAST. A ton of fun, and, once you're more than 50 feet up or so, it's not "heights" any more. It's just flying, with an unbeatable view.
    Hal has it about right. Once you get above 50' it's quite comfortable. 500 feet is perfect. 1000 feet is the limit of comfort. Around 3000 feet the acrophobia starts to set it. Or, as I was told, the front seat is made of elastic and it shrinks by an inch for each 1000 feet of altitude. At 3000 you're sitting on a 2X4, edge-wise.

But it is more fun than two barrels of monkeys. Come on Sam, you're ready for another project!
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"