Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Stolp Starduster Too

Dan,
    MAKE Sure you have the Operating Limitations AND that the aircraft has had the proper sign off from Phase one to Phase two in the logbooks. Sounds like he paperwork was not a priority with this seller. Also the A/W cert. and logbooks. With out the Ops Limits you may find yourself contacting your local FSDO for a test area and having to fly off the test period hours to be able to sign off Phase two.

Swaid Rahn
    A&P-I.A. Indigo Aeronautics, LLC.
    EAA Tech Counselor
    IF1 Racer "HEATSTROKE"

Quote Originally Posted by dbegeman View Post
    The airplane has not had a condition inspection in quite some time (11 years). I like the airplane but I am not going to get into something Imay regret later!
    Depends. Are you looking for something to fly, or are you looking for a project airplane? If you're looking for something to fly, you're going to regret buying a project airplane. If you're looking for something to keep you busy and maybe fly some day, then you're in luck.

And yeah, if you have not already asked about the plane on the Biplane Forum, you should.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

One of my neighbors owned a Starduster for several years. He wasn't the original builder, but he might have some type-specific wisdom to impart. If you PM me your email, I'll forward it along to him.

Thanks for all the input. The pre-buy didn’t go well...the engine has no data plate which raised a red flag to me. There is no serial number anywhere in any of the logbooks so I have no way of knowing which AD’s have been complied with and how much time is actually on the engine. I am probably gonna pass unless some more Documentation is found.

Thanks for all the input. The pre-buy didn’t go well...the engine has no data plate which raised a red flag to me. There is no serial number anywhere in any of the logbooks so I have no way of knowing which AD’s have been complied with and how much time is actually on the engine. I am probably gonna pass unless some more Documentation is found.
    Lack of a dataplate is pretty common with experimental aircraft, especially those built a couple decades ago before builders started putting new engines in their builds. If you really like the airframe, and the price is advantageous, an engine teardown and inspection is a fantastic way to build confidence in your new plane. It also gives you a basis for beginning a good log book which will be valuable when you are ready to sell the plane. Having a friendly A&P or someone experienced with the O360 along with the overhaul manual will get you headed toward having a good engine.

Best wishes for a successful pursuit of your new plane!
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Since AD's are only suggestions in the Experimental world, assume none of them were applied.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Since AD's are only suggestions in the Experimental world, assume none of them were applied.
    ?????

Interesting some people will remove a dataplate and think their engine is free of all regulatory requirements. It's still a certificated engine, a certificated engine with a missing dataplate. It would have to be a heck of a deal or I'd walk too.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Interesting some people will remove a dataplate and think their engine is free of all regulatory requirements. It's still a certificated engine, a certificated engine with a missing dataplate. It would have to be a heck of a deal or I'd walk too.
    Which Type Certificate would be applicable for an O-320E2D Lycoming engine installed in an RV?
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Which Type Certificate would be applicable for an O-320E2D Lycoming engine installed in an RV?
    The engine type certificate is not altered by the airframe it's bolted to. There's not a type certificate for Lycoming O-320E2D installed in a Cherokee and a different type certificate for an Lycoming O320E2D installed in a Cessna or RV. The engine type certificate is the same in all three.