Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a Stolp Starduster Too

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Since AD's are only suggestions in the Experimental world, assume none of them were applied.
    Can I give you my A&P's phone number, and you can talk to him? :-)

(actually, CURRENT A&P is an EAAer...)

Anyway, previous A&P required me to show compliance with a 40-year-old AD on my magnetos.

The last guidance I heard, is that it depends on the actual wording of the AD. If it says it applies to ALL aircraft using that item, you're stuck, even if you have an experimental. Any limitations in the AD note can be worked to your advantage.

However, if the data plate doesn't match what the callout in the AD says, it also doesn't apply. So if the engine data tag says, "Smith O-235," only ADs issued against Smith O-235s apply.

Ron Wanttaja

AFS 300 issued an AC several yrs ago to clarify the AD saga. There was a brief flare up in the homebuilt community then the excitement died down and it was forgotten. Here is the applicable paragraph from the AC:

b. Non-TC’d Aircraft and Products Installed Thereon. Non-TC’d aircraft
    (e.g., amateur-built aircraft, experimental exhibition) are aircraft for which the FAA has not
    issued a TC under part 21. The AD applicability statement will identify if the AD applies to
    non-TC’d aircraft or engines, propellers, and appliances installed thereon. The following are
    examples of applicability statements for ADs related to non-TC’d aircraft:

(1) “This AD applies to Honeywell International Inc. Auxiliary Power Unit (APU)
    models GTCP36-150(R) and GTCP36-150(RR). These APUs are installed on, but not limited to,
    Fokker Services B.V. Model F.28 Mark 0100 and F.28 Mark 0070 airplanes, and Mustang
    Aeronautics, Inc. Model Mustang II experimental airplanes. This AD applies to any aircraft with
    the listed APU models installed.” This statement makes the AD applicable to the listed auxiliary
    power unit (APU) models installed on TC’d aircraft, as well as non-TC’d aircraft.

(2) “This AD applies to Lycoming Engines Models AEIO-360-A1A and IO-360-A1A.
    This AD applies to any aircraft with the listed engine models installed.” This statement makes
    the AD applicable to the listed engine models installed on TC’d and non-TC’d aircraft

So for example, per para (2) if the Lycoming O-320E2D has an AD issued against it and the applicability section reads "This AD applies to any aircraft with the listed engine models installed" does not matter if the engine is installed in a Cherokee or an RV-x, compliance is mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    However, if the data plate doesn't match what the callout in the AD says, it also doesn't apply. So if the engine data tag says, "Smith O-235," only ADs issued against Smith O-235s apply.
    The caveat there is one can't remove or install a data plate without FAA permission.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The caveat there is one can't remove or install a data plate without FAA permission.
    Sure you can, if you do it before installing it on the aircraft. Legally, you've disassembled a Lycoming O-235 and used some (or all) of the parts to build a new "Smith O-235".

Dana