Thread: Best Countries, Best for Flying

Best Countries, Best for Flying

There is an annual survey done on which are the best countries to live. Obviously it varies with what categories are used to evaluate and what weight is given to each, dont know the specifics. I think economic factors are prime, and climate rates low. Switzerland rated first, Norway next and the U S was eight. U S would rate tops on military strength, and good but maybe not tops on economic factors. Maybe less so on some health or social factors.

These are all general indicators of the quality of life, and I dont think the survey focuses on something like aviation especially gen av status in each country, but that's part of the topic that is of extra interest to us. I am not really familiar with flying most foreign countries. I have of course been on airlines outside the U S but only flown gen av in Canada, the Caribbean, and just a bit in England, nothing in Australia for instance. Gen av wise I found Canada to be much like the U S, they even love warbirds there, we had little govt red tape. It was also easy in the Bahamas and that part of the world, just often few perks like tie downs at some locations. I suppose Australia is fertile for gen av especially in view of the size the country. England has a great aviation history and much interest, lots of airports. but in some ways it seems if gen av flying is not as common for the average person, in some places it is expensive. I get the feeling that it is rare in France also.
    If one is looking at airlines, then there are a lot of good ones around the world, some may easily exceed our domestic ones for high end customer service, but U S major airlines have an unequaled safety record this last decade. High end private and charter flying is active in the U S and probably leads the world in that respect. Has anyone here flown extensively overseas, and by that I mean gen av not military. Whats it like to fly in Mexico or Cuba for instance, and esp down under.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-29-2018 at 02:54 PM.

I would think the countries that our President has designated... ummm, "more benighted nations".... are probably the best. Probably minimum bureaucratic burden on airplanes and pilots, and what there is can probably be handled with a $20 bribe.

Ron Wanttaja

I know that on continental Europe, GA is much more restrictive than in the USA with landing fees, ever present ATC, etc.

We have a fellow from Germany that takes a vacation to the USA just to fly around in an unrestricted manner.

And certainly homebuilding here in the USA is the Wild West of just going for it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Banned
    In the late 70's I flew to the Bahamas from Toronto. The islands were and remain very private flying friendly and have wide ranging services that support GA on almost every island with a minimum of bureaucracy. In 1985 I was attending the Cannes film festival. I got checked out at the Cannes flying club, rented a 172(really expensive I recall) and flew to San Tropez for lunch. Beautiful flight along the French coast, people were accommodating and it was pretty straight forward. That's the extent of my flying outside North America.