Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical for Experimental

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Read 61.31(l) again. It exempts the earlier limitations for experimentals without passengers.
    For those playing at home:

(l)Exceptions.

(1) This section does not require a category and class rating for aircraft not type-certificated as airplanes, rotorcraft, gliders, lighter-than-air aircraft, powered-lifts, powered parachutes, or weight-shift-control aircraft.

Homebuilts, of course, are not type-certificated.

I appreciate Ron supplying the reference. My brain was telling me the FAA had changed that. It, apparently, was wrong again.

Out of curiosity, this doesn't seem to apply to stuff like the high-performance/complex endorsements. So I probably couldn't fly an ME-110 replica without the endorsements.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Do you have the ref for that? In any event, the aircraft’ OPLIMs may dictate otherwise—mine certainly do. Specifically they state that the PIC must hold an appropriate cat/class rating and have logbook endorsements required by 61.31(e), (f), (g), (h), (i), and (j).
    Can you snap a photo of that paragraph from your operation limits and post here?
    What aircraft type is this?
    Could you request these limits be removed?
    I am wondering if this paragraph is inserted in every new aircraft now?
    thanks
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Can you snap a photo of that paragraph from your operation limits and post here?
    What aircraft type is this?
    Could you request these limits be removed?
    I am wondering if this paragraph is inserted in every new aircraft now?
    thanks
    Here's a pic of the applicable para's off my OPLIMS:

Name:  OPLIMS.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  15.2 KB

That wording is right of Order 8130.2G which was current when my OPLIMS for my RV-10 were issued in 2015. I realize the wording of OPLIMS issued under 8130.2H or the current version 8130.2J are probably different due to the major re-write 8130 underwent from ver G to H. However, I have absolutely no desire to get mine changed.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 01-11-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks Todd.
    The thing I don't understand is that a Student Pilot can solo a C-172 without a category or class rating. Only an instructor solo endorsement is required.
    So are Student pilots banned from solo flight in all homebuilts? From limitation 17?
    Or does limitation 18 allow Student pilots?

Very confusing because 17 and 18 are sort of redundant. Perhaps there should be an "or" at the end of limitation 17.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-11-2018 at 05:49 PM.

In the EAB world. Every OL is unique. No one will be like the other. You could have two exact same model airplanes and they could have totally different set of operating limitations. This may even be true for certified airplanes or ones that hold a type certificate.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-11-2018 at 06:33 PM.

I checked FAA Order 8130.2j (2017).
    I did not find the pilot limitations as noted in post 13.
    It seems about 100 pages from the Order have been removed.

The op limitations for my Fisher 404, reissued 2016, say, "The pilot in command of this aircraft must hold Airplane category and Single-engine land class certificate or privilege. The pilot in command must hold all required ratings or authorizations, and endorsements required by 14 CFR part 61."

The older op limitations, issued 1991, say nothing about the pilot's qualifications.

I checked FAA Order 8130.2j (2017).
    I did not find the pilot limitations as noted in post 13.
    It seems about 100 pages from the Order have been removed.
    It's there, (8130.2J) just a different format. The operating limitations for ALL aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate is aggregated in Appendix D. Crewmember certifications are item numbers 7-10. Category and class will always be required except for very very unusual circumstances.

A student pilot can be authorized to fly an E/A-B with proper instructor endorsements.

Perhaps the FAA updated their computer system to one with a Pentium based processor so they can do some fancy stuff now like save paper.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    It's there, (8130.2J) just a different format. The operating limitations for ALL aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate is aggregated in Appendix D. Crewmember certifications are item numbers 7-10. Category and class will always be required except for very very unusual circumstances.

A student pilot can be authorized to fly an E/A-B with proper instructor endorsements.

Perhaps the FAA updated their computer system to one with a Pentium based processor so they can do some fancy stuff now like save paper.
    I checked that. 7-10 does not have the (g) for operating amateur built.
    So doesn't apply.
    Why would a student be allowed to solo an EA-B without a rating and a Private Pilot not allowed without a rating?
    Maybe Trump ordered some rules to be discarded.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  21.5 KB
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-11-2018 at 09:50 PM.

I checked that. 7-10 does not have the (g) for operating amateur built.
    So doesn't apply.
    The way I read it, OL #7 is inclusive of all subsections of 21.191 .