Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical for Experimental

Medical for Experimental

Pardon my ignorance (and yes I tried to search for the answer) What are the medical requirements to PIC Experimental aircraft in the US?

Same as for any other aircraft. The medical requirements vary by the type of pilot certificate, not type of aircraft.

Larry N.

If you want to operate an experimental as a light sport aircraft and exercise only sport pilot privileges, no medical required even if you hold an ATP certificate.

[See details on package, offer valid in all 50 states, void where prohibited by law]

Well not by type of "airworthiness certificate" but rather the type of pilot certificate required.

As pointed out, if it is an LSA, then a sport pilot (or higher) can fly it without a medical. Gliders, LTA, etc.. also.

Airplanes that don't qualify as LSA, require either a medical certificate or the new "basic med."

A Homebuilt motorglider doesn't require any medical or drivers license.
    Even if heavier than 1320 pounds.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-10-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Well not by type of "airworthiness certificate" but rather the type of pilot certificate required.

As pointed out, if it is an LSA, then a sport pilot (or higher) can fly it without a medical. Gliders, LTA, etc.. also.

Airplanes that don't qualify as LSA, require either a medical certificate or the new "basic med."
    Not to split hairs, but that's not entirely true.

Sport Pilots must have a motor vehicle license, which is their medical - if one fails the eyesight or other tests of medical fitness for one, they also lose their flying priledges. Heck, lose one's driver's license for any reason and one is legally grounded.

Private pilots may fly under Sport Pilot rules, but clearly they must have a physical, even if it's not currently updated. If their physical is revoked for any reason, they are grounded when it comes to LSA qualified aircraft.

As previously stated, EA-B aircraft are, well, aircraft, and are treated no differently than certified ones when it comes to permits and ratings. A twin engine experimental requires the pilot to be multi-engine rated, a conventional gear one requires a tailwheel endorsement, etc.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Not to split hairs, but that's not entirely true.
    You are splitting hairs and what I wrote WAS entirely true. You just provided additional details.
    As previously stated, EA-B aircraft are, well, aircraft, and are treated no differently than certified ones when it comes to permits and ratings. A twin engine experimental requires the pilot to be multi-engine rated, a conventional gear one requires a tailwheel endorsement, etc.
    Now you are the one that is wrong. While an experimental makes no difference for the medical, it is true (as I correctly stated the MEDICAL is contingent on the PILOT certificate required), experimental do have some exceptions. You might want to read 61.31 again more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Not quite. An experimental aircraft flown solo does not require the pilot to have any category or class ratings, or endorsements. If carrying a passenger, then the requirements do apply. So if your pilot certificate says "airplane single engine land", you can legally solo a seaplane, multi, glider, or even a helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Not quite. An experimental aircraft flown solo does not require the pilot to have any category or class ratings, or endorsements. If carrying a passenger, then the requirements do apply. So if your pilot certificate says "airplane single engine land", you can legally solo a seaplane, multi, glider, or even a helicopter.
    Do you have the ref for that? In any event, the aircraft’ OPLIMs may dictate otherwise—mine certainly do. Specifically they state that the PIC must hold an appropriate cat/class rating and have logbook endorsements required by 61.31(e), (f), (g), (h), (i), and (j).
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 01-11-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Do you have the ref for that? In any event, the aircraft’ OPLIMs may dictate otherwise—mine certainly do. Specifically they state that the PIC must hold an appropriate cat/class rating and have logbook endorsements required by 61.31(e), (f), (g), (h), (i), and (j).
    Read 61.31(l) again. It exempts the earlier limitations for experimentals without passengers.