Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showplane Parking

Showplane Parking

Is there a daily fee for Showplane Parking (Ultralights, Homebuilts)? Or is parking included with an owners wristband?
    All I could find on the website is camping rates ($27/day)

edit: I searched and found this thread that said no charge for parking any aircraft.
    http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...wplane+parking
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 12-03-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Looks like you answered your own question. There is no fee in any of the aircraft parking areas. However, to park in any of the aircraft camping areas (North 40, Homebuilt, Vintage) one must pay the camping rate.

No tent= no $.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Thanks Jeff.
    Another question is: can a Homebuilt be brought in by trailer and assembled at or moved to Homebuilt parking?

Sure. I believe that doing so makes it ineligible for judging (must fly in) but other than that you'd be OK.

You'd be wise to arrive good and early (before Sunday) to be sure you'll be able to get your vehicle/ trailer onto the grounds.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

I can't vouch for the other areas, but in Vintage, you only pay for camping if you CAMP. We don't have dedicated camping areas. We had dedicated parking areas (where no camping is permitted) but those are being phased out (now I believe they are limited only to the pretty airplane area: past grand champions and special displays in the northernmost section of the vintage area). You don't even need a wristband to park, it's free. You could fly in and walk out the gates and nobody would care.

As for trailering in, I can't say that I've seen it in vintage, but they do it in UL all the time. You can't park/drive your truck/trailer in the grounds starting the Sunday before, but provisions for you to come in, unload, and get your vehicle out are available. I'd still recommend doing that early if you're planning on doing it.

I have an Avid Amphibian with folding wings. The plan is to trailer it in, since flying 2000 miles at 70 is inconvenient.
    Seems EAA would accommodate trailered aircraft. Especially after sponsoring and promoting folding wings with the EAA Design contest in the 60’s.
    But oh well. I guess I can arrive before Sunday hopefully. Thanks for the heads up.
    Glad I checked first.

p.s. I already know the Seaplane Base has no facility for trailering in.

I don't know if you want to park in homebuilts or not, but if you want to park in the Seaplane area I can ask the chairs in Vintage about getting you into those rows. Of course, you could trailer to Neenah and takeoff and fly over to OSH (it's about seven miles).

Ron, I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying Vintage controls the Seaplane parking?

I considered another airport. But then I would need to find and pay for trailer and car parking and load everything into the airplane for the week.

Exactly. If you show up at the main airport at Oshkosh holding a SP sign, you will be directed to Vintage. Vintage will park you in the amphib area down south of the end of the ultralight area. Vintage still handles that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Exactly. If you show up at the main airport at Oshkosh holding a SP sign, you will be directed to Vintage. Vintage will park you in the amphib area down south of the end of the ultralight area. Vintage still handles that.
    @BillB There is seaplane parking on the field, and there is the seaplane base.

I'm pretty sure FlyingRon is talking about parking on the field @ KOSH, and I suspect BillB is confusing those comments with the seaplane base options.
    Brian K. Schermerhorn