Thread: Renting a P28/C172 for Oshkosh

Renting a P28/C172 for Oshkosh

First post, hoping some people may have some tips.

We’re two UK based PPLs (both with FAA ppls) that are planning to come over for AirVenture this year and wanted to fly in, hence find a plane to rent (PA28/C172).

Any suggestions on places to look would be much appreciated, realise WI might be a bit close to rent from so trying to find places in/around IL, MN, IA, MI, IN.

While I don't have any suggestions for the states you mention, a bit more information from you might garner some better results. The first thing I thought of when reading your post was, "Wow. That will be expensive!"

Places that rent aircraft usually have minimum rental requirements if they will rent a plane for a multi-day trip at all. Most places are relatively small, without large fleet, so someone tying up a plane for more than an hour or two at a time really limits their rental income. The place I rent from here in TX *will* rent a plane for a trip, but the rental will incur a minimal 4 hrs/day regardless of whether the plane flies at all. So, for 4 days, one would incur 16 hrs of rental. Prices vary all over the place as well, but for an average rental of, oh, say $150/hr, that would be over $2400. Yeah, for a bucket-list item it might be worth it.

Having an idea of how long you would want the plane might generate some results, since folks who know what rental planes are available pretty much know an FBO's thoughts on losing use of a plane. As an example, if you wanted to fly in one day, then turn around an return it the next day just to say you've flown into Convention could be quite do-able. If you wanted to arrive the Saturday before, and keep the plane there until you depart the following Sunday, and your options drop dramatically.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    As an example, if you wanted to fly in one day, then turn around an return it the next day just to say you've flown into Convention could be quite do-able. If you wanted to arrive the Saturday before, and keep the plane there until you depart the following Sunday, and your options drop dramatically.
    Thanks for the thoughts, yes am fully aware it won't be cheap, at the moment we would be trying to fly in for just a couple of days at the convention to make it more affordable, then in an ideal world we'd rent from somewhere just far enough out to justify the 4 hours/day minimum (or say 12 hours total minimum time over 3 days).

It's a challenge that's for sure...

Interesting idea renting a Cherokee or 172.
    You could fly in to Chicago and get a cheap (weekly rate)rental car. Then drive to any rural airport and rent a plane for one day and to get the Airventure arrival experience. Then return back to Oshkosh by highway with the rental car for several more days and see some countryside from the road also. The rental car for a week is much less ($200 or so) so you could stay several days more. Are you camping?

I’d agree with Bill that the Chicago area would be a good option. I used to fly out of IKK far south of the city. You’ll probably just have to do a short checkout flight and then you’d be set. I rent and fly to OSH all the way from Fort Lauderdale - Cirrus SR22 though. I might have 2 seats available if you’re interested. We’d have to work out the details though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips on IKK, I'll check that one out.