Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How is EAA Actively promoting the Sport Pilot program

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger;70661

[edit

Above all, the wife's support was key. She has absolutely no interest in General Aviation at all, but since it's important to me, it's important to her. Indeed, she'll sometimes ask why I haven't gone out to the airport to either work on the plane (there is always something to do on it) or go fly!

This is my wife. She has absolutely no interest in flying. I can't say she doesn't like aviation. She TOTALLY supports my habit/hobby. She's been right by our daughter's side all the way, while she's gotten all her rating up to CFII, and is supporting her on to the airlines. And would be an encouragement to our other daughter as well, if she were to decide to get her PPL. We live on a private airport, and my wife wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but..........thought it was a good opportunity to brag.

I'm in the same boat, PPL in 1974, flew for a few years then life got in the way. A couple of years ago I decided to get back to doing the only sport I like, flying. There are two 1946 Champs for rent 40 miles from my home and they stay busy most of the time, either flying or in the shop. I made quite a few trips to the airport to fly only to find the weather/wind to bad for my skill level or someone extended their flight time and now the plane is in the shop for a 100 hr. inspection. Also, they jacked up the fuel prices and the price for instruction so I decided to stop wasting my money and roll the dice to get my 3rd class medical again. After the Aeromed Dr. sent all my paper work to the FAA, I got a letter 5 weeks later saying they needed more info. I ended up doing it all over again, new stress test, even though the first one was less than 3 months old, new sleep study and new eye exam. I mailed off 92 pages of stuff two weeks ago so maybe in a couple of months I'll know something. The only reason I'm going for my 3rd class again is because there are at least 25 airplanes within 50 miles that I could have access to, compared to the two Champs. Sport Flying is what I do anyway, I'm not going to fly into a busy airport unless I have my (best friend) instructor with me. I have more time in a 150 than anything else but for S/P, it's off limits. I know at 71 it's a gamble but with the lack of S/P aircraft I feel I don't have much choice.
    Bob

I found a Sport plane locally I can buy, so by the time I pay for the 12,500 dollar aircraft, this makes my sport license cost me roughly, $16,000.00, just to get my a$$ in the air legally. we really have to love flying, to spend that kind of money just to get licensed, and have access. I'm sorry but a 2 year longer wait, is just plain crappy. Government and businesses can jack up gasoline overnight, yet we cannot fix something that has been broken for more than 10 years in less than 4, wasting 1000's to step over people, just to go slow. pathetic
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dingus View Post
    I found a Sport plane locally I can buy, so by the time I pay for the 12,500 dollar aircraft, this makes my sport license cost me roughly, $16,000.00, just to get my a$$ in the air legally. we really have to love flying, to spend that kind of money just to get licensed, and have access. I'm sorry but a 2 year longer wait, is just plain crappy. Government and businesses can jack up gasoline overnight, yet we cannot fix something that has been broken for more than 10 years in less than 4, wasting 1000's to step over people, just to go slow. pathetic
    Robert
    You should be able to cut the $1600 down to much less with some searching for a CFI that likes to fly your airplane. I mentioned on another thread two C-150s for $10,000 each that are available. $14,000 more or less plus some gas and maintenance, etc. can get you a PPL and a plane to fly.

True, but the 150 is NOT available 'yet' for Sport Pilotage. And if a weight change will indeed take years, my personal options as a geezer remain extremely limited due to the scarcity of LSA rental craft and schools.

ChicagoRandy Try to search out someone with an experimental two seat whom will let you become part owner. Do your training, then take you name off the registration or sell your share to someone else if the Owner is up to this. If you lived closer I would offer this to you with my airplane. I like the idea of aviators helping other aviators. How aviation was built. If we want aviation to be what it once was, we need to get back to basics. The pluses for me, friendship. I hope it all works out for you CHICAGORANDY.

Tony

Tench,

Do not listen to those guys!!!

At this point you are just trying to gain experience by any means necessary. I was faced with the same funding challenges and went the Sport Licence route. I am adding to that as I go. Trying to get my CFI for Sport Pilot training to help fill the much needed void of Sport instructors. I live close to Hammond, Louisiana. At the Hammond Airport, my flight instructor's name is Mr. Steve Rastanis. He owns and operates Auto-Gyro of Louisiana along with his wife Mrs. Terri. They do both the Sport Licence and Auto Gyro for those interested in Gyro work.

The training aircraft they operated is the Evector Sports Star. Simply stated it is a bad a$$ little trainer. Stick and rudder job with superior visibility and handles like a little fighter. It's the sexiest trainer that I have seen in flight schools.
    Auto-Gyro of Louisiana also has accommodations for out of town students which Mr. Steve services a ton of. Many of his Gyro students are from other countries.
    He is the only outfit i could find that would cater to my needs. Thank the Lord!
    NEVER give up your dream of flying, NEVER! You gotta stay hungry if you want to get in the air!
    Yellowhammer

-----
    Last edited by 1600vw; 12-12-2018 at 01:18 PM.