Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How is EAA Actively promoting the Sport Pilot program

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I then call to get not-in-motion insurance on my eab. They wanted 800 a year for this. DaleB I wonder why you have better luck then those in my area cost wise? Maybe it is who you know.
    I just did what a lot of RV owners do, I called AJ Gallagher. Take to Jennifer or Shanna. Full coverage on my RV-12, WITH a student pilot on the policy and enough hull coverage to replace it, is under $1400 per year. It was under $900 when I just carried enough hull coverage to keep me from losing too much if it got destroyed. Considering I've got about 200 hours total and my new partner has less than 100 hours of RV-12 time (and no ticket yet), I don't think that's too bad. The rates should go down substantially when he gets more time; the cutoff is either 100 or 150 time in type to get the rates down.

That may or may not sound like an unreasonable number to you. Everyone has a different threshold of pain.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Annual cost of Fly Baby hull coverage: $800
    Years of flying Fly Babies without an accident: 30

Total amount saved by not having hull coverage: $24,000

Value of aircraft: $10,000

Any questions?

(and yes, I carry liability...$178/yr)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I'm mystified by this.
    Commercial policy. The premium for a personal/biz policy on a m or n model 172 will run around $1000/yr. To use that plane for flight training, premium jumps to over $5000/yr.

My 150 is $725/yr. That's with a student pilot on it. Liability w/20K hull.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    My 150 is $725/yr. That's with a student pilot on it. Liability w/20K hull.
    Call them up and say you will be offering flight training to the public. You’ll buy the hull every 3 yrs with premiums.

so far no decision to put the 162 online, and the 5000 a year premium is still hanging out there. until they make a decision we are still on hold, there are o flying clubs in my area, we have at least 6 local airports within an hour drive, and not one willing light sport owner. Granted the 150,000 RV is nice, I could not afford his fuel bill. and with all that glass on the panel, lets just say wow, dollar bills.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dingus View Post
    i find it quite disturbing, and i may be wrong, where is the promotion of Light Sport Pilots, within the EAA organizations.
    it is not in the local chapters, it is not at the airports the limited few that actually offer Light Sport training.
    my local training spot just SOLD their only Light Sport training aircraft.

I realize the recent changes mainly benefit Private pilots, so they can continue to fly without the 3rd class medicals.

but this has actually almost killed Light Sport, training.

my closest and only options is a 2 plus hours of driving to get to a site that has an airplane.

How is EAA growing pilots, show me the numbers, show me the programs, something.

Robert

I was wondering if I had posted this and forgot;swear I was just complaining about the exact same things. I was thinking the heavy regulations are the issue. I will concede that I know very little however.

Was told we should kindly express our concerns to a "David Oord" at David.Oord@aopa.org
    Last edited by Dgen; 03-02-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Correct, other than the PP being able to carry more than one passenger if his medical situation and aircraft allow it. I believe, however, that his point was that there is benefit to the added training received for the Private Pilot ticket. Night takeoffs and landings, flight by reference to instruments, unusual attitude recovery, etc. I don't know if the last two are required for Sport Pilot training or not, but it would be very difficult to argue against them being a good idea - especially if carrying a passenger.
    Is this true if my aircraft has no lights and no instrurments.

Yes.

The certificate is not issued for your specific airplane. Is that for sure the only airplane you'd ever fly? Even if that's true, as I said, it would be difficult to argue how more training and a wider range of flying experience would not make you better equipped to fly. Especially unusual attitude recovery. Even airplanes without lights and a full panel are still subject things like wake turbulence.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

ok,the final decision is in, they are not going to offer the 162 for Light Sport training or use.
    Looking t build my own LSA to finish my training, that means I have to let other fly off the 40 hours, before I can use my own aircraft.
    at least I can fly it when ever I want, still the same limitations.

always a road block, some place.

Robert