Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How is EAA Actively promoting the Sport Pilot program

You might be able to fly off most of the 40 hours as a solo student. You would need to get soloed and endorsed by an instructor in a similar aircraft, I think. If the aircraft is a single seat you can take the check ride with the DPE on the ground, I think.
    Request that Operating Limitations NOT limit student solo when you get the Airworthiness certificate.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 04-29-2018 at 08:21 PM.

If you build E-LSA it’s a lot less than 40 hours.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I've not yet started flight training but did buy the Gleim SP package and have worked through it. I am retired, 69 years aged, and definitely NOT a wealthy person who will ever be able to afford to buy and maintain an airplane of my own.

The more I read the more I'm starting to get a form of buyer's remorse wondering if there will be a 'practical' and convenient way for me to actually use the Sport Pilot ticket if I proceed to get one. My nearest training facility is over 90 minutes away and they only have 2 LSA planes. Will it be worth hours of commuting to try and rent for just an hour or two of flight? The reality of a GREAT 'sounding' program with no infrastructure is kinda depressing.

If I'm getting those discouraging thoughts in Chicago, I can't imagine how daunting it will be for folks in small towns.
    So what did you think of the Gleim SP package? My real goal Is to own and fly an Ultra Light but no harm in getting the ground school and test out of the way in case I change my mind. I wonder how long the results of the written test are valid?

The results of the Sport, Rec, and Private Knowledge test are valid for 2 years. Make sure not to lose the test results sheet the testing evaluator will give you.

I think the Gleim package is quite complete and comprehensive. Written in understandable language and the format breaks up the materials in small enough segments to motivate continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I think the Gleim package is quite complete and comprehensive. Written in understandable language and the format breaks up the materials in small enough segments to motivate continuing.
    I ended up going with the new updated 2018 Online course from Sporty's since I am going for the Sport Pilot license. Also ordered the FAR-AIM 2018 and a log book. When I get the ground done and out of the way I will find a CFI with a light sport aircraft available to teach in to do the flight training.

Thanks for the reply Randy.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 06-02-2018 at 07:58 AM.

I used the Gleim package for my Sport Pilot stuff, and it worked out really well, and was worth the money.

[edit]

Backing up a bit to previous posts, here's how I did my training:

1) Sport Pilot ticket gained in a FlightDesign CTLS, which a guy on the field rented to my CFI to help him pay for it (yes, it was insured for students, etc.).
    2) Tailwheel endorsement in a Champ, and most of my hours outside of #3 was in that Champ.
    3) Built my own airplane while doing 1) and 2) above, and fly it.

Since I knew I was going to fly purely for recreational reasons during daylight in severe VFR, low and slow in an open cockpit biplane that met LSA criteria, I found no need for more than a Sport Pilot certificate. That said, I've done spin training and a touch of aerobatic training as well.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 06-07-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank that is more or less my route. I am perhaps 25% into the Sporty's course and I can not say enough good about it. I went with it because it has all been freshly updated 2018. Plan to get the student written certificate and then seek out CFI with a LSA to flight train on. I am either going to build one or purchase one of the many LSA used that I see offered for sale.

Building is not out of the picture and thanks to my loving wife who allows me to furnish my shop with whatever I think I need it may come to that.

If I can not find someone local I will load up my pup, my wife and take the camper someplace where they do!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 06-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.

While some may question the wisdom of it, I found building the airplane (or preparing to build it) during flight training really motivated me, particularly when I was plugging down money on renting a plane.

Money was an issue for my endeavors; fortunately, I had a solid plan going into it. I worked a second job and put aside the cash for about half a year for training - I didn't want to have to hold that up owing to a shortage of funds - and then started putting aside for the aircraft, knowing that I could continue to save for the engine while I worked on the airframe.

It's about priority. I could spend four bucks on a cup of coffee....or I could buy an AN4 bolt. Buy a game off of Steam or an airspeed indicator. Etc., etc.

[edit]

Above all, the wife's support was key. She has absolutely no interest in General Aviation at all, but since it's important to me, it's important to her. Indeed, she'll sometimes ask why I haven't gone out to the airport to either work on the plane (there is always something to do on it) or go fly!
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 06-12-2018 at 09:19 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Congratulation to all you dedicated students and builders. Makes me happy to see and hear about you and your interest in light aviation. As a long time pilot and CFI if I can be of any assistance I would like to do what I can to help or encourage your efforts.

There is not enough activity on this site to be high on my list of activities. If you are not on Homebuiltairplanes.com you may want to look for me there.