Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is EAA Actively promoting the Sport Pilot program

How is EAA Actively promoting the Sport Pilot program

i find it quite disturbing, and i may be wrong, where is the promotion of Light Sport Pilots, within the EAA organizations.
    it is not in the local chapters, it is not at the airports the limited few that actually offer Light Sport training.
    my local training spot just SOLD their only Light Sport training aircraft.

I realize the recent changes mainly benefit Private pilots, so they can continue to fly without the 3rd class medicals.

but this has actually almost killed Light Sport, training.

my closest and only options is a 2 plus hours of driving to get to a site that has an airplane.

How is EAA growing pilots, show me the numbers, show me the programs, something.

Robert

There are many who have stated this exact same thing. Good luck on this front.

I've not yet started flight training but did buy the Gleim SP package and have worked through it. I am retired, 69 years aged, and definitely NOT a wealthy person who will ever be able to afford to buy and maintain an airplane of my own.

The more I read the more I'm starting to get a form of buyer's remorse wondering if there will be a 'practical' and convenient way for me to actually use the Sport Pilot ticket if I proceed to get one. My nearest training facility is over 90 minutes away and they only have 2 LSA planes. Will it be worth hours of commuting to try and rent for just an hour or two of flight? The reality of a GREAT 'sounding' program with no infrastructure is kinda depressing.

If I'm getting those discouraging thoughts in Chicago, I can't imagine how daunting it will be for folks in small towns.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I've not yet started flight training but did buy the Gleim SP package and have worked through it. I am retired, 69 years aged, and definitely NOT a wealthy person who will ever be able to afford to buy and maintain an airplane of my own.

The more I read the more I'm starting to get a form of buyer's remorse wondering if there will be a 'practical' and convenient way for me to actually use the Sport Pilot ticket if I proceed to get one. My nearest training facility is over 90 minutes away and they only have 2 LSA planes. Will it be worth hours of commuting to try and rent for just an hour or two of flight? The reality of a GREAT 'sounding' program with no infrastructure is kinda depressing.

If I'm getting those discouraging thoughts in Chicago, I can't imagine how daunting it will be for folks in small towns.
    There are exactly zero options for training and taking the check ride in an LSA anywhere around where I live. I have a PP ticket, but am now flying with Sport Pilot privileges. The best advice I can offer you is to find one, two or three like minded individuals and buy an airplane. You can buy a nice E-LSA RV-12 now for under $70K, which works out pretty well split between two to four people. Operating costs are very low -- my co-owner and I figure $30 per hour wet, including maintenance and a reserve for overhaul (which realistically we'll probably never do). Form an LLC to own the airplane, everyone owns part of the LLC. That way it's easy to add or subtract owners. Yes, it will involve some initial outlay of cash, but when you figure the huge difference in hourly cost you'll recoup that - not to mention you can sell the airplane or your share in it.

If you don't want or need to travel cross country, there are planes that are MUCH cheaper to buy, but more costly to own and operate. Champs, Chiefs, Ercoups and so on. Might not be the best choice if you're old and chubby like me, but they're out there.

Light Sport definitely needs more exposure and better PR, but I wouldn't blame EAA for that.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

i checked with a site here in ohio, and they wanted 195.00 per hour in a Quicksilver 2 Seat trainer. that would mean at least 2000.00 just for the minimum of 10 hours, to get you to solo, or maybe less. i dont have 200 for an hour of flight time, a doctors visit is cheaper than that.

purchasing a plane is not in the average mans budget, even if 4 guys went together, finding 4 people with at least 10,000 in cash to plop down would be almost very difficult.

sure the American Dream really is alive.

Robert

I just bought this. It qualifies as an LSA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Stits-...p2047675.l2557

Small, single seat, limited load capability homemade airplanes may not fit the bill for getting trained or getting us 250# wanna-be pilots off the ground with enough fuel to do a circuit of the airfield. YES, my 2018 resolution IS to shed some blubber tonnage, but I'm never gonna be 170 # again.

I think that it may be 'possible' that my life-long dream of flight isn't too expensive at this point in my life, but like oh so many other things I just can't realistically afford it? I dunno. At Winter's end I'm going to try for some financing to cover all the costs of a SP ticket.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 12-24-2017 at 10:36 AM.

I am not yet a pilot, but would like to be. At only 29 money is somewhat limited. Support from my local chapter was also limited when I mentioned getting a light sport ticket instead of private. The chapter guys, the youngest probably being in his 40's, said I should get private or not bother and that light sport was "for us old guys to keep flying when we can't keep a medical." I get that a private ticket opens up more possibilities, but shouldn't the membership be encouraging involvement in whatever form they can?

Short answer... YES...they 'should' but it remains a reality that there is considerable ....let's just say snobbery..... about having a Private vs getting a Sport. I'm a non-flying geezer with limited means and I looked to Sport as a way to achieve a dream at substantially lower cost. In theory that is what Sport 'can' do, but the harsh reality is the horribly limited number of available training/rental aircraft and schools in many areas.... mine included.

It is possible that some of the dismissive nature comes from an attitude of "I had to take and pay for the full-boat training, why should someone else come in and get flying rights for half the effort and cost"?

But YOU are the exact demographic that NEEDS to be encouraged if general aviation is to grow and survive. It saddens me to hear the often repeated story you mention.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 12-24-2017 at 12:48 PM.