Thread: Newbie forming my buying vision... am I crazy?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bbutler455 View Post
    I have friends who buy completely restored vintage cars and then just take them to shows. That is not me. By the time i'm done I know everything there is to know about that vehicle and have laid hands on every nut and bolt with the exception of engine and trans rebuilds. People who know me say I am anal about my projects. The good news is that my cars and motorcycles are gorgeous and flawlessly reliable. I only restore cars and motorcycles that are significant and deserve to be returned to as-new condition.

Your advice makes a lot of sense relative to older vintage aircraft, but will I be able to be as hands on as I want? For me owning and restoring the plane will be as much fun as flying it. Getting a private license isn't an obstacle. Doing my own work and learning all about the airplane is important. That is what led me to experimental planes.

Can I work on vintage planes?
    I always did before I got my A&P; vintage, contemporary, and EAB. As others said, find a mechanic you can work with and you can work on most anything.

FWIW, I live about 120 miles east of you, am newly retired (last week) and have my A&P ticket. I have supervised numerous ground up restorations where the owners did practically all the work, but you will also need an IA to sign the inspections on the 337s and annual. Certificated aircraft have a number of restrictions in that you can't just do something because you decide that's how you want it done; even if it does make sense. It has to meet the Type Certificate, Supplemental Type Certificate, or previously approved data, all of which have different paths for approval. Having an A&P to work with is as much about having someone to guide you through the paperwork maze and to keep you from heading down a path with work that isn't likely to get FAA Approval as it is about making sure you do safe, high quality work. I need to fly over to Gastons for breakfast sometime in the next few weeks. Maybe we can meet up for breakfast for some one-on-one, more detailed discussion. PM me and we'll exchange email addresses if you're interested in some discussion.
    Last edited by cub builder; 12-18-2017 at 08:25 AM.