Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Corben Jr ace build.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Uh....even after Googling "trammeling procedure" I'm still not sure what it means....please enlighten me.
    This document describes the process for Fly Babies... see starting on Page 24:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/PB100/Guide_2.pdf

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, that's an incredibly useful manual. At a glance, it is obvious that it is very relevant to many of us building other models. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by conodeuce View Post
    Ron, that's an incredibly useful manual. At a glance, it is obvious that it is very relevant to many of us building other models. Thank you.
    Pete Bowers' 100th birthday was last month. The complete "How to Build a Fly Baby" magazine series (14 parts) was published in Sport Aviation in 1963-1964, and can be downloaded for free by any EAA member.

In honor of Pete's centennial, the Fly Baby community is assembling a series of "Companion Guides" for those who might want to build a Fly Baby from the original EAA articles. Full details on the "PB100" Web page:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/PB100/index.html

Not only will folks find the companion guides for the "Building a Fly Baby" series, but there are some workmanship and shop setup guides as well.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 06-18-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Ok...I just wasn't familiar with the "trammeling" term even though I've used that technique on all sorts of projects over the years. I learned something today.

However, the processes y'all have been linking to are way more technical that what I used on the D.VII wings. The key to laying out the wings is a drywall square and some wood blocks. Here you can see the edge of the build table being used as a reference to draw perpendicular lines on the table with the drywall square.

Name:  wing-2.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  43.8 KB

Once reference lines have been drawn for the spars and compression struts, wood blocks are attached to the table to hold everything square.

Name:  wing-1.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  40.5 KB

The blocks immobilize the spars and compression struts as the drag/anti-drag cables are installed.

Name:  wing-7.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  46.5 KB

No "trammeling" per se was necessary to build a square wing. Quick, simple, and square. I realize this may not be "complicated" enough for some builders.

Name:  wing-58.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  53.3 KB

I used the same technique on the wood Legal Eagle wings (and Super Koala and MiniMax) with the same "square" results. Here are the D.VII wings chasing a sunset this evening:

Name:  sunset2_6-18-2018.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  78.3 KB
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 06-18-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Sam, I wonder if the importance of wing trammeling is a matter of wing length? How long are the wings on the Fokker D.VII and the Legal Eagle?

@Ron: I hope you are planning to go to this year's Concrete Vintage Fly-In. If so, would you mind letting me know which day? I would like very much to see a Fly Baby in person.

https://concrete-wa.com/fly-in/

Thanks
    Last edited by conodeuce; 06-18-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Sam, I wonder if the importance of wing trammeling is a matter of wing length? How long are the wings on the Fokker D.VII and the Legal Eagle?

No, the only purpose of trammeling is to get the wing structure square/straight. As long as you end up with a "square" wing (ribs and compression struts perpendicular to the spars and spar ends properly aligned) the particular squaring technique doesn't matter.

Here is one of my Legal Eagle wings (should look familiar to anyone who has built any of the light, wood aircraft:

Name:  wing-12.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  59.6 KB
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I wonder if the importance of wing trammeling is a matter of wing length?
    If the wing bays are not square you could end up with some forward or aft wing sweep which would certainly be exacerbated on longer wings.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    If the wing bays are not square you could end up with some forward or aft wing sweep which would certainly be exacerbated on longer wings.
    I didn't phrase my "wonder if" question well. My question: Is it possible that shorter wings are naturally more rigid, and so might not require extra measures for ensuring squareness? But, from the looks of Sam's Legal Eagle wing (which looks pretty long to my eyes), it seems that his excellent vertical jig and careful craftsmanship resulted in a very square wing, without the final step of trammeling.

A side question about wing rigidity: How often do drag-anti-drag rods require tightening? Over time, do things loosen up? Do big temperature changes have an impact? I had a rag-wing Cessna 140 for several years. I don't recall maintenance log entries indicating that sort of work.

Thanks.