Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Corben Jr ace build.

It's great to see another tube-n-rag project moving along, at the same stage as mine (Acey Deucy). Where'd you go for spar material? I used Edensaw in Port Townsend, WA. But, because of growth defects in one board, I'll be ordering a main spar board from another source. Perhaps Aircraft Spruce.

Quote Originally Posted by conodeuce View Post
    It's great to see another tube-n-rag project moving along, at the same stage as mine (Acey Deucy). Where'd you go for spar material? I used Edensaw in Port Townsend, WA. But, because of growth defects in one board, I'll be ordering a main spar board from another source. Perhaps Aircraft Spruce.
    I ordered from Aircraft Spruce since I had family I would be visiting down by their GA location. Unfortunately, I couldn't pick it up when I visited and had to have the order shipped anyway. It took them months to get the stock in because "the pieces you needed were very large." Plans call for a solid 3/4" x 5 11/32" front spar almost 13' long. I quickly looked over the stock and it all looks quite beautiful. I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb when I get closer to using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tench745 View Post
    I ordered from Aircraft Spruce since I had family I would be visiting down by their GA location. Unfortunately, I couldn't pick it up when I visited and had to have the order shipped anyway. It took them months to get the stock in because "the pieces you needed were very large." Plans call for a solid 3/4" x 5 11/32" front spar almost 13' long. I quickly looked over the stock and it all looks quite beautiful. I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb when I get closer to using it.
    After waiting several months for drying, it was very disappointing to begin planing one of my expensive spar boards only to have severe checking revealed in places that prevented it's use as a main spar. That board, once any other imperfections are identified and discarded, will become aileron spars, as well as cap strips, etc. Fortunately, one board was in excellent condition. So, I have one wing's worth of ribs mounted. Moving on to metal component acquisition and fabrication now. (And looking for a larger shop.)

Attached Images Attached Images