Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corben Jr ace build.

Trench745 Would you be able to copy your plans for the Corben baby ace as I cant seem to get a set. Tried that guy in Georiga no luck. I will glady pay you for them. I have been a certified aircraft mech for over forty years.Might able to give you some tips on your project. Thanks Monty.

Tench 745 I am wondering if you got my email I am looking for a set of plans for a Corben baby ace called the guy in Georiga no luck Could you copy yours and sell me a set. Would be much appericated. Thanks Monty.

I had the opportunity to visit Bill Wood in Toccoa, GA a month or so ago. He responded to my email about it pretty quickly. Perhaps give that a try first: aceair@windstream.net
    I know he still sells the plans, so I would feel guilty selling you a copy of mine.
    There was recently someone on the Corben Aircraft group on Facebook who had a set for sale as well, they may still be available. https://www.facebook.com/groups/320195594809744/

Trench745. I tried to contact Mr Bill Wood twice by phone and a email. I cant get a reply from him. His email will not work for me. Do you know any place else where I could buy these drawings. As I want to get building this aircraft. This is the phone no I was trying 706-886-6341 and the mail was the one I got from you. Thanks Monty.

That's pretty much all the contact info I have for you short of mailing them something via snail-mail. If you've only tried contacting them recently, they may be away for the holidays, but I don't know for sure. I actually bought a set of plans from an individual who wasn't able to use them and started building a Zenith instead.

Questions for those who know more than I do:
    1) I'm looking at phenolic pulleys for the control cables; are bearings worth spending nearly twice the price of the bushing variety?
    2) I'm also trying to find parts to assemble the wing's drag wire clevises. These are bent up from strap steel with a nipple, square washer, and lock nut.
    The plans show it as below.
    I figure I can make the bent metal strap, the square washers should be easy if I can't find them premade somewhere, but the threaded nipple is giving me fits. I've found similar parts from a J-3, but they're around $9 apiece and I need 24 of them just for the wings. Is there a simpler/better/cheaper/newer way of doing these fittings?
    Name:  Drag Wire Clevis.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  95.0 KB

http://www.buchananspokes.com

Motorcycle wheel spoke nipples.

Well, I've ordered the next load of materials. Motorcycle spoke nipples are coming for the drag wires.
    I have an order into Aircraft Spruce I'll be picking up when I visit my family in SC for a belated Christmas. The spar stock won't be ready in time, but the steel for wing fittings and plywood to finish the butt ribs will come home with me.

The rib jig was modified to make the aileron ribs. I'm building the ailerons in as part of the full ribs so that I can cut the ailerons out as one piece once the wing is assembled.

In the picture below are, from top to bottom: a standard rib, an aileron rib, and one of the aileron endcaps. Everything forward of the plywood on the endcap will be cut away once I have the ailerons assembled. Better to be too long than too short right now.
    Name:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  94.3 KB

I started only gluing up one side of the ribs at a time to make it seem like I was making progress faster and keep motivated. The added benefit of this is I'm now done with my rib jig which can be modified for the butt ribs while I go back through finishing up the un-gusseted sides. I have to finish gusseting the back sides of three more ribs; then it's time to build the butt ribs.

So, project updates! I finished building all the ribs over the winter, and ran out of things I could easily do in my living room until the garage warms up. Once spring finally started springing, about a week ago, I started in on wing hardware.
    Name:  IMG_0683.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  90.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0684.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  92.6 KB
    I got the aileron cable pulley bracket cut and bent, as well as the aileron control horns. Unfortunately, when bending the control horns the corners of the bend began to crack. Only then did I realize I laid the fittings out with the 4130 sheet's grain running along the bend instead of across it. I intend to remake these parts with the grain running the other way, but will have to buy more steel to do so. The plans do not say which way to align the grain, but do say to weld these corners after bending. I wonder now if the designer's intention was to lay them out the way I did and counteract this kind of cracking with the welds. Any comments on these fittings or anything else is welcomed.
    Name:  IMG_0729.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  97.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0730.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0731.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  88.2 KB

1. Make sure the bend radius is not too small for the thickness of the metal. That will cause cracking.

2. Layout the part so the bend will be properly oriented to the grain of the metal; you want to bend across the grain to minimize cracking;

3. Put a radius in that corner before bending. When laying out the part, drill a hole in that corner so there will be a radius instead of a sharp corner.