Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corben Jr ace build.

Corben Jr ace build.

Hi all, I'm a first time builder embarking on my first project, a plans-built Corben Jr Ace. I will have a lot of questions as I progress which I intend to post in this thread. Hopefully people will have some answers that they're willing to trade for progress updates. First question is about built up ribs.
    The Jr ace has ribs built from 1/4" x 1/4" capstrips with 1/16" ply gussets. I'm assembling with T-88 and aircraft nails. I'm curious how much of an issue there is with the nails splitting the intercostals?

My ultra-piet project used 1/4 by 1/4 capstrip for ribs, I used t-88 and then used staples instead of nails, no splitting problems. If you decide to change to staples put a toothpick under them to make it easier to pull them when the t-88 is cured.

Trick you can use if you encounter splitting is run the point of the nail over a grinding wheel. The dull point will crush the wood fiber when it's driven vs. separating the fibers which causes splitting.

Martymayes, is the intent to just round the tip, or flatten it completely?
    Followup question, if the intercostals do split under the gussets should they be replaced or is the gusset holding the two halves together still sufficiently structural? (Basically, I mussed up, how do I fix it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tench745 View Post
    Martymayes, is the intent to just round the tip, or flatten it completely?
    You want to disrupt the point's wedge shape because that is what splits the wood, just like using a wedge to split firewood.

Hurray!

Please, lots of pictures and descriptions of your build!

I did it, and it was invaluable - folks saw some mistakes I was making and corrected them, and gave advice on better ways of doing things.

But make sure you show your worst work, not just your best. That's where one needs the help, after all.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Y'all want progress, then I guess I'll start in.
    I began by having a copy of the plans made at Staples. I think it cost around $120. The overview plates fit in a 2'x3' poster frame and hang on my wall for quick reference.
    Name:  ACE wing.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  37.9 KB

I guess now is as good a time as any to fess up that I've already built 12 of 26 ribs. I'm averaging about 2.5 hours per rib.
    I made some choices when laying out my ribs to speed production. I cut all my intercostals square rather than beveling each one on a sander when it goes into the jig. This lets me work in my living room and not run back downstairs to the garage every time I need a new piece. Similarly, I chose to notch the plywood nose blocks rather than beveling the upper and lower capstrips to meet it. I feel like there's more gluing area this way and it means I can just put a capstrip straight into the jig.
    Name:  Rib Cuts.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  15.7 KB

All the nose blocks and gussets were rough cut on the band saw, placed in a jig, and finished with a router. The leading edge notches on the nose blocks were cut in another jig on the table saw.
    Name:  Nose block jig.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  40.7 KB

The first rib was laid up in the jig, and each piece used to set up a stop block on my table saw's crosscut sled. The second piece was cut, tested in the jig, and if it fit the remaining 24 pieces would be cut. Each piece gets it's own cup, numbered per the drawings.
    Name:  Rib Jig.JPG
Views: 1487
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  Rib pieces.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  28.9 KB

Here's a shot of one of my worst splits.
    Name:  IMG_0649.JPG
Views: 1560
Size:  27.0 KB
    If this type of split doesn't make the rib unairworthy, I will be filling the ones I have with epoxy for added strength. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tench745 View Post
    Here's a shot of one of my worst splits.
    Name:  IMG_0649.JPG
Views: 1560
Size:  27.0 KB
    If this type of split doesn't make the rib unairworthy, I will be filling the ones I have with epoxy for added strength. Opinions?
    yup

The only purpose of the nail is to clamp the gusset in place until the epoxy dries. Theoretically, can remove the nail after the glue is dry and a lot of builders use staples so they can do exactly that.

should have the wings ready to cover by next weekend?
    Last edited by martymayes; 12-08-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Very, very cool.

For those of us who never worked in wood, when assembling one of the ribs, could you take pics in a step-by-step manner?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.