Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Corben Jr ace build.

It's great to see another tube-n-rag project moving along, at the same stage as mine (Acey Deucy). Where'd you go for spar material? I used Edensaw in Port Townsend, WA. But, because of growth defects in one board, I'll be ordering a main spar board from another source. Perhaps Aircraft Spruce.

Quote Originally Posted by conodeuce View Post
    It's great to see another tube-n-rag project moving along, at the same stage as mine (Acey Deucy). Where'd you go for spar material? I used Edensaw in Port Townsend, WA. But, because of growth defects in one board, I'll be ordering a main spar board from another source. Perhaps Aircraft Spruce.
    I ordered from Aircraft Spruce since I had family I would be visiting down by their GA location. Unfortunately, I couldn't pick it up when I visited and had to have the order shipped anyway. It took them months to get the stock in because "the pieces you needed were very large." Plans call for a solid 3/4" x 5 11/32" front spar almost 13' long. I quickly looked over the stock and it all looks quite beautiful. I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb when I get closer to using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tench745 View Post
    I ordered from Aircraft Spruce since I had family I would be visiting down by their GA location. Unfortunately, I couldn't pick it up when I visited and had to have the order shipped anyway. It took them months to get the stock in because "the pieces you needed were very large." Plans call for a solid 3/4" x 5 11/32" front spar almost 13' long. I quickly looked over the stock and it all looks quite beautiful. I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb when I get closer to using it.
    After waiting several months for drying, it was very disappointing to begin planing one of my expensive spar boards only to have severe checking revealed in places that prevented it's use as a main spar. That board, once any other imperfections are identified and discarded, will become aileron spars, as well as cap strips, etc. Fortunately, one board was in excellent condition. So, I have one wing's worth of ribs mounted. Moving on to metal component acquisition and fabrication now. (And looking for a larger shop.)

Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm slowly fabricating and acquiring fittings and hardware to start assembling the wings. Right now I'm stuck on finding drag/anti-drag wires for the wings. The plans call for 9/64" SAE1050 steel rod in 51" lengths. I have absolutely no idea where to find this. I assume that there are other suitable alloys, but I don't know enough to choose one. I'm trying to keep this project as low-cost as I can while still doing things right. It occurs to me that I should just start contacting local metal suppliers as I'll need steel tubing eventually too, but thought I should get the opinions of those who know better than me first.
    Any advice would be helpful.

I'm slowly fabricating and acquiring fittings and hardware to start assembling the wings. Right now I'm stuck on finding drag/anti-drag wires for the wings. The plans call for 9/64" SAE1050 steel rod in 51" lengths. I have absolutely no idea where to find this. I assume that there are other suitable alloys, but I don't know enough to choose one. I'm trying to keep this project as low-cost as I can while still doing things right. It occurs to me that I should just start contacting local metal suppliers as I'll need steel tubing eventually too, but thought I should get the opinions of those who know better than me first.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Many aircraft with similar wings use 1/8" cable with turnbuckles for drag/anti-drag bracing. The turnbuckles involve some expense but this is an easy method to rig.

My D.VII replica uses an even simpler method. The cables are installed without turnbuckles--tension is achieved by pulling the cables tight with a ratchet strap as the nicopress sleeves are swaged. Here are photos of the cables in assembly:

Name:  wing-7.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  wing-8.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  wing-12.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  40.0 KB

http://fokkerd7.com/wing-top.html
    It doesn't get any simpler and less expensive than that!
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 06-18-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

... The plans call for 9/64" SAE1050 steel rod in 51" lengths ...
    My airplane uses a similar type rod. I will be ordering from Aircraft Spruce. Your part's 9/64" (0.141) dimension suggests the AN part would be AN-701 (0.138 diameter and 6-40 threads).
    In my plane's case, the next size up is specified (AN-703 having diameter of 0.190).

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/tierods.php

@Sam: I'm curious what is the trammeling procedure for your wing?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by conodeuce View Post
    @Sam: I'm curious what is the trammeling procedure for your wing?

Thanks.
    Uh....even after Googling "trammeling procedure" I'm still not sure what it means....please enlighten me.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Uh....even after Googling "trammeling procedure" I'm still not sure what it means....please enlighten me.
    It's just a method of making sure the wing bays are square by measuring corner to opposite corner.

@Sam: About trammeling ... I like to follow Marty Feehan's progress on his Sportsman 2+2 via his web log. Here is his trammeling entry from 2010:

http://www.marty2plus2.com/past-post...ay-7-2010.html

Also: http://gobinkley.com/hostedpictures/...mel-a-wing.pdf

(And, "holy cow", I hadn't come across the goblinkley.com site before my googling a moment ago. Check out the the main site. I'd give my left __ for a Warner 145).
    Last edited by conodeuce; 06-18-2018 at 05:47 PM.