Thread: Feedback Needed - Homebuilt Aircraft Cruise Speeds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ron, the number of Airdrome Nieuports, both 11 and 17, are barely in double digits, and true replicas are in the single digits. The vast majority of them are Circa (Graham Lee).

The differences between Circa and Airdrome aren't meaningful when it comes to surviveability; they're both aluminum tube-and-gusset with pop rivets.

I suspect true statistics on wrecks vs injury in inexpensive, light aircraft like these is impossible. Liability without hull insurance is the rule. When I flipped my plane, replacing two spars, the prop, crankshaft, gear leg, brakes, wheels, recover and paint the two wings cost less than 1,500 bucks. It won't show up in a database, as it wasn't reported to the FAA or NTSB (though I did file a NASA report).

Talking within the community, incidents like mine aren't as uncommon as I thought they were. If it doesn't happen in front of the FAA, the cops, or a reporter, it just didn't happen.

If I had the big money put into an RV, though, I'd probably report it properly and file a claim, as those kinds of repairs would be high. And the stats would be more robust.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 12-08-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.