Thread: Student has flown before - can be a 1st time Young Eagle?

Student has flown before - can be a 1st time Young Eagle?

Here is a question on the Young Eagles program. I am fully aware that it is intended to get kids their first small airplane flight. But here is my issue. There is a local trade school program for high school aged kids. One of the programs is an aviation program where the kids learn the basics of aviation and get some flight lessons with a local flight school. Unfortunately, just as is the case with most student pilots, most will not follow through to the point of getting their PPL. I see them as the perfect audience to bring into the EAA, and an EAA chapter, for aviation related mentorship and fellowship. If they could be given a Young Eagles flight (even though they have flown already), they could then get the free EAA student membership and the free access to the Sportys Learn To Fly program. I think that would be a huge boost to helping them complete the PPL. Also if we as a chapter give them a chapter student membership as well, I see this as a win all around. Good to have the young blood in the chapter, good for the EAA, and good for GA in general.

Thoughts?

I don't see why not; we've flown YE that have had previous YE flights. As long as they meet the age criterion, they should be good to go. We're pretty flexible when it comes to growing aviation.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks. I just wasn't sure if HQ frowned on it because it wasn't a "first flight" experience.

The objective is to get as many young people as possible an introductory flight, but there is no prohibition for subsequent flights. The rule is no more than one flight per youth per day. The YE packet includes a small logbook for the child to record EACH YE flight — and could be a first pilot logbook.

It is important not only to introduce youth to aviation, but to sustain that interest.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Never even discouraged as far as I knew. We had "regulars" who would show up at every rally we had. They were cool to let the first timers get a ride first, especially when they were waiting for a particular plane to fly in.

In Big Bear, CA, we typically fly 60-70 kids per monthly summer event with many having flown before. Our philosophy is that perhaps one of them will take a serious, future step to become a pilot.
    So we welcome kids flying multiple times.

This post is a tiny bit off topic, but. Since you're talking mentorship, I'll chime in.

I took a high school girl (Kathryn) up in the 172 a few months ago for her first flight in a small plane. She has been my "flying buddy" ever since. We try to fly at least 3 times a month. She is so enamored by it, she wants to get her PPL. My daughter has her CFI, CFII, MEII, and I really don't know what else, so she's going to help Kathyn any way she can in our 150.
    The girl just lives about 7 miles from us. We have invited her and her brother to go to OSH 2018 with us.

I feel like if we want to keep GA alive, we're going to have to do everything in our power to get young people involved.

Again, the simple answer is yes.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

If they're between 13 and 18, you can also refer them to AOPA's AV8R program https:www.aopa.org/login/AV8RS
    They get a free. AOPA membership, and

• Special Scholarships Opportunities.
    • Flight Training Magazine Digital Edition.
    • Flight Training Helpline.
    • Access to Flight Planning Tools.
    • Aviation Safety Resources.
    • Free Welcome Gift!

hi kevin
    You are right. you boost young generation to fly.