Thread: Chicago area CFI and airport

Chicago area CFI and airport

Hi All,

I have a Nephew that wants to start pilot training. He lives in downtown Chicago. I'm looking for recommendations of which airport would be reasonably convenient and for a CFI. MY personal preference would be an independent guy or gal that teaches because they want to as opposed to someone that's building time instructing at a Part 141 school but I'm open minded if you know if a GREAT 141 instructor.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide,
    Dave

As a lifelong Chicagoan (68 years and counting) 'convenient' to Downtown Chicago is a mighty relative term - lol - "You can't get there from here" is more appropriate.

That said, there is a small flight school operating out of Midway Airport - http://www.apischool.com/ - but whether a person wants to learn in the same airspace as Southwest Airlines is another matter.

Aurora, IL, DuPage Airport, Clow Airport in Bolingbrook, are all options. Also Joliet Jr College offers a program.

I'm sorry I can't refer a CFI, great or mediocre.

Thanks Randy.

To take his training under 141, he will have to be enrolled in a 141 program, there are no independent 141 CFI's. His training will be under Part 61 if he flies with an independent CFI which is in no way a disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    That said, there is a small flight school operating out of Midway Airport -
    THAT would be cool! I had no idea anyone did primary flight training at MDW - have never seen or heard any training activity and I've been there a bunch of times. Can't see them allowing a student to make their first solo at MDW, lol. Even better would be a CFI like me that stands out on the side of the runway with a handheld radio when soloing a student. Can't see that going over very well either.....haha.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Can't see them allowing a student to make their first solo at MDW, lol.
    Nothing on their website to suggest the contrary. In fact they speak a lot about what they believe are the advantages to be training in the environment of a controlled airport and communicating with controllers that I can't imagine them not soloing here. It is highly unusual to have pilot training at a major city airport though.

When I stopped by their small storefront to check them out - 10 minutes away, they are the nearest CATS/PSI testing center to my house - the guy mentioned they have been lucky to stay able to train Private and above ratings, but Sport Pilot was not an option at Midway.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 12-01-2017 at 09:24 AM.