Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanna Fly High? Fuggetaboutit!

So Alabama isn't a "real state?" Garbage.

Your statement about half the USA having legalized marijuana is patently false. There are four of fifty. Maybe the rest are fake states, too?

And even where states have legalized it, there is no protection against the federal government. Indeed, at any time the Fed could come in and nullify those state laws. The question of who's laws reign supreme - the state or the federal government was resolved during a little dust up from 1861-5.

I think you may be fogging your cognitive functions with something.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Some of the anti pot legal? acts are just this side of the Salem witch trials. Cops just broke into a house in Pa, and handcuffed a 66 year old lady and pulled her out to their car in her underwear while also attacking her 69 year old husband. The had no criminal history at all, were not drug dealers but the cops claimed their hibiscus plants were pot and refused to listen. It is bad enough when cops are just dumb but all too likely they are also crooked. Just had a decades long case exposed in Chicago where 7 cops were caught extorting young Black men for money or otherwise planting drugs on them and some innocent men went to prison. In Detroit 2 undercover cop units got into a fight over who was going to confiscate peoples cars.

And no pilot should fly using mj just like alcohol.

Frank its not 4 states its about 29 that either medical pot is legal or recreational pot, more than half and about 8 plus Dc have legal for all uses. And without being rude, Alabama is not on the leading edge of change.
    and why do you care so much what someone else uses? I dont drink coffee, eat salad dressing or like scotch but others can.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-21-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    So Alabama isn't a "real state?"
    Oh, it's definitely real and the focal point lately of much discussion. Sorry Frank, but in a nation-wide poll taken last Friday, respondents were asked, when they think about Alabama, what are the top five things that come to mind? Numbers 2-4 were the Crimson Tide. Number 5 was Tuskeegee Airmen. Number 1 was Malls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Dale, the reason we dont know how long it takes to reach a safe level for mj is for decades the federal govt prohibited unbiased research on pot, they claimed it was a class I drug and therefore bad even though it doesnt fit the guidlines like physical addiction or overdose deaths. There is a sign at the mj dispensary that suggest not driving for 6 hours after using, but as a practical matter there are many drivers who use and there dont seem to be any more wrecks than before it was legal unless you add in alcohol. And there is also a federal law of max highway speed of 75 mph, do you think all drivers observe it?
    I dont live in Alabama, but it about half the real world cities and states are not arresting people for having a joint.
    Just... don't... care. Don't like the rules about getting an FAA issued medical certificate while or shortly after using pot? Go talk to the FAA about it. I have neither the ability nor the desire to help you.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Dale, you asked the question about how long it was till THC wore off to a safe level. I wasn't asking for your help, I have a medical, neither pot use or DUI apply to me. And I dont think anyone on the forum is advocating pilots use mj while flying any more than alcohol. No one is going to force you to use it no matter what state you live in.
    By the way, does Nebraska have any singers better than Willie Nelson or football players better than Ricky Williams?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-21-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Oh, it's definitely real and the focal point lately of much discussion. Sorry Frank, but in a nation-wide poll taken last Friday, respondents were asked, when they think about Alabama, what are the top five things that come to mind? Numbers 2-4 were the Crimson Tide. Number 5 was Tuskeegee Airmen. Number 1 was Malls.

Well, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.

As just another stupid hick from Alabama, I'm out of this one.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    By the way, does Nebraska have any singers better than Willie Nelson or football players better than Ricky Williams?
    I have no clue what you're talking about. Obviously I'm not alone. Have a nice day, guys.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

The question about MJ is maybe not about you or me. My original post referred to the statement on the basic med form "Have you used any illegal drugs in the last two year?". It certainly doesn't affect me but it might some other pilots. The statement has to attested to (signed) by the pilot on the medical. Seems pretty simple to me.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Marijuana will be legal in Canada beginning in July, 2018. Despite that, Transport Canada medical authorities and regulators say it will still be illegal to fly with ANY level of THC in the blood. So zero tolerance will be the norm.
    To get back to the original post, this brings up an interesting question of interpretation. What is the meaning of "ANY"? What type of test will be performed to determine the level of THC (or THC metabolites)?

If a pilot is randomly tested and THC is found, his license could be revoked for as long as it takes for all traces to be out of his system.
    Depending upon the type of test used - urine, blood, saliva, hair - "detectable" amounts of THC can be found over varying time periods, and mean different things. Recent usage, or historical usage. These pages:

http://calculator.marijuanacentral.c...annabis-usage/
    http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/d...detection.html

Have well researched information on how long marijuana use is detectable. And it matters whether they're looking for THC (which is the psychoactive part) or THC-COOH (which is NOT psychoactive, but is just a metabolite that sticks around for a while).

I certainly applaud Canada for taking a step in the right direction - it would be good to have some clarity on how they intend to enforce the "zero tolerance" policy, based on the above.

Interestingly, similar questions about alcohol usage and detection bring up very similar issues - how is the testing done and what are they looking for? The "8 hour bottle to throttle" rule is almost meaningless in the context of determining impairment due to alcohol usage, yet alcohol usage can be detected in hair follicle tests up to 3 month after usage. Obviously, there's no impairment after 24 - 48 hours from usage, but the same rule about alcohol (zero tolerance) COULD have ramifications if hair follicle tests were what was used. These pages:

https://newlifehouse.com/how-long-do...n-your-system/
    https://americanaddictioncenters.org...ong-in-system/

discuss alcohol detection.