Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanna Fly High? Fuggetaboutit!

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    You say, "perception protection". That's a euphemism for cover your ass.
    You say that as if government agencies ever didn't. I never said asking the question would do any good... just giving you my opinion in response to your question. If you're not satisfied I'll refund every penny you paid for it, less shipping and handling.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I realize it's once again fashionable to smoke dope, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a pretty stupid thing to do - especially for a pilot.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Despite the wording on this Med form, who would ever actually voluntarily admit to these onerous questions when your objective is to renew your medical?
    Years ago on my first Hot Nuclear job one of our employees had to talk to the plant psychologist because of one of the answers he put to one of the questions on the PHQ, (personal history quiz). That’s a 500 plus questionnaire everyone has to take every few years for the Nuclear industry. A lot of the questions are the same but written in a different way. It’s like the’re trying to trip you up. Anyway, he answered yes to the question, “Have you ever enjoyed marijuana?” The psychologist said, we don’t like to see answers like that on these test and the employee said, well, you shouldn’t ask that kind of question, I’m just being honest. Since he passed the drug test everything was ok and he went to work. I guess they considered what he did in the past was, well, in the past.
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 11-20-2017 at 05:24 PM.

When I retired last spring, I was under pressure to keep my security clearances active so I could come back as a consultant. Told them I had no interest in maintaining them. The Security officer looked at me a bit disgustedly and said, "You're going to smoke pot, aren't you...."

Ron "Maybe...uhh, what was the question?" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I realize it's once again fashionable to smoke dope, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a pretty stupid thing to do - especially for a pilot.
    Is it stupider or less stupid (forgetting the national legal issue) than drinking alcohol, drinking caffeinated drinks, or smoking/chewing/snorting tobacco (all of which are physiologically addictive, while marijuana is not)? And are those things more stupid for pilots than for the population as a whole? Just curious as to why marijuana is singled out here...

If your position is that excessive usage of ALL of those substances are sub-optimal to varying degrees and for various reasons, particularly for pilots within their physiologically active time period, then I agree with you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    A lot of the questions are the same but written in a different way. It’s like the’re trying to trip you up. Anyway, he answered yes to the question, “Have you ever enjoyed marijuana?” The psychologist said, we don’t like to see answers like that on these test and the employee said, well, you shouldn’t ask that kind of question
    Bob
    I love his answer. His take on if you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question. This trick question is commonly referred to as a loaded or leading question. Like the classic "Have you stopped beating your wife?" or "When did you stop beating your wife?"

How do you challenge the assumption or premise of the question? How do you answer without agreeing with the implication? Just say "I never started."

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    Is it stupider or less stupid (forgetting the national legal issue) than drinking alcohol, drinking caffeinated drinks, or smoking/chewing/snorting tobacco (all of which are physiologically addictive, while marijuana is not)? And are those things more stupid for pilots than for the population as a whole? Just curious as to why marijuana is singled out here...

If your position is that excessive usage of ALL of those substances are sub-optimal to varying degrees and for various reasons, particularly for pilots within their physiologically active time period, then I agree with you.
    One can't forget the national legal issue. It's at the very heart of the matter.

Get arrested for having a case of whiskey in the very dry County of Dekalb in Alabama and you won't lose your pilot license. Get arrested for possessing a pound of pot and it's a different story. Have much less than that in your aircraft and transport it across state lines. Just one little joint is enough. If you're really, really unlucky and get ramp checked and there is a cop there....

I guess I'm a throwback, but there is absolutely nothing about the stoners I have known that makes me think "hey, they'd be great pilots between bong sessions!"
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 11-20-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

One can't forget the national legal issue. It's at the very heart of the matter.
    Only for pilots. Your statement was that it was a stupid thing to do, with the clause "especially for pilots" at the end. Let's assume that it is stupid for pilots due to the federal legal issue. My question was more for the rest of the statement (although obviously that doesn't have a lot to do with flying, so we can drop the conversation if the mods want).

Get arrested for having a case of whiskey in the very dry County of Dekalb in Alabama and you won't lose your pilot license.
    The 2nd/3rd class medical asks whether you've ever been arrested/convicted of an alcohol or drug related driving offense that resulted in revocation of driving privileges. So it might - get a medical refused, and you're not flying.

Get arrested for possessing a pound of pot and it's a different story. Have much less than that in your aircraft and transport it across state lines. Just one little joint is enough. If you're really, really unlucky and get ramp checked and there is a cop there....
    Your statement to which I responded was with respect to the usage of the substance, not to it's possession, transport and/or sale.

Let's get back to your statement regarding USING marijuana, and my question regarding USING other legal (under most circumstances) substances, and the relative stupidity of such USAGE.

I guess I'm a throwback, but there is absolutely nothing about the stoners I have known that makes me think "hey, they'd be great pilots between bong sessions!"
    How do you feel about the pilots that drink beer and/or hard liquor, or smoke cigarettes, or drink "energy drinks" or copious amounts of coffee?

Personally, I'll take a marijuana user over a drinker any day, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    Only for pilots. Your statement was that it was a stupid thing to do, with the clause "especially for pilots" at the end. Let's assume that it is stupid for pilots due to the federal legal issue.

8< snip...

How do you feel about the pilots that drink beer and/or hard liquor, or smoke cigarettes, or drink "energy drinks" or copious amounts of coffee?

Personally, I'll take a marijuana user over a drinker any day, but that's just me.
    Regardless of whether your particular state has or chooses to enforce specific anti-marijuana laws or not, possession and use are still violations of federal law. Like it or not, them's the facts as it stands now. As for all of the various other substances mentioned, they're legal. Some, like OTC cold medicines and lots of prescribed meds, don't mix well with flying or driving. How long does it take for THC to reach a "safe" level for flying? Personally... I don't know, and really don't care.

I'll take a sober pilot (and driver) in full control of his or her faculties and not impaired by anything at all, thanks. And not playing with his or her stupid bloody cell phone either.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Dale, the reason we dont know how long it takes to reach a safe level for mj is for decades the federal govt prohibited unbiased research on pot, they claimed it was a class I drug and therefore bad even though it doesnt fit the guidlines like physical addiction or overdose deaths. There is a sign at the mj dispensary that suggest not driving for 6 hours after using, but as a practical matter there are many drivers who use and there dont seem to be any more wrecks than before it was legal unless you add in alcohol. And there is also a federal law of max highway speed of 75 mph, do you think all drivers observe it?
    I dont live in Alabama, but it about half the real world cities and states are not arresting people for having a joint.