Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanna Fly High? Fuggetaboutit!

Banned

Wanna Fly High? Fuggetaboutit!

Marijuana will be legal in Canada beginning in July, 2018. Despite that, Transport Canada medical authorities and regulators say it will still be illegal to fly with ANY level of THC in the blood. So zero tolerance will be the norm.

If a pilot is randomly tested and THC is found, his license could be revoked for as long as it takes for all traces to be out of his system.

So the memo to all Canadian pilots reads as follows: "If you want to keep your wings, best rely on your engine power to get high."

I've worked construction for over 40 years and we started having drug test in the '80's. The past 13 years it's been mostly Nuclear plants. Always a drug test on hire in and I have been random tested 4 times in a 3 month period. Guess I look the part. LOL. No matter if it's legal in your state there will always be businesses that won't accept it. So for me, it was, get high, or work and support your family. A no brainer !
    Bob

They don't call it dope because it makes one smart.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I've worked construction for over 40 years and we started having drug test in the '80's. The past 13 years it's been mostly Nuclear plants. Always a drug test on hire in and I have been random tested 4 times in a 3 month period. Guess I look the part. LOL. No matter if it's legal in your state there will always be businesses that won't accept it. So for me, it was, get high, or work and support your family. A no brainer !
    Bob
    I've heard that some good jobs - one with starting pay of $17.98/hour - have gone unfilled in Colorado because too many people fail the drug screen test. But I have to wonder, then where are those people getting the money to buy the weed in the first place? And where are they working now? Because I'd rather not do business with them.

Your info probably came from someone who is not in Colorado, perhaps a dea guy who's a sore loser. Most jobs dont have a drug screen to do them. Our largest employer in town only does a check if there was a problem. The economy is good in this state ,legal pot has raised a lot of tax revenue, but otherwise it makes almost no difference for the average person.
    It has long been used by many of the most educated and creative people. 60% say they have tried it once. Im pretty sure that somewhere like Silicon Valley has a lot of users and they aren't "dopes" . Propaganda from the anti side held sway for decades, but when a state legalizes it, people find the boggy man is only in Jeff Sessions head.
    The idea of flying after using is a whole nother matter, you may need all your best facilties to deal with an emergency. No one really knows what effects and limits of pot are, and the big reason is that the Fed go prohibited research for all these years, they made the ludicrous claim that it was a class I narcotic and therefore bad, and so would only allow a study if it was designed to be negative, nothing independent or factual. Result we just dont know, is 8 hours toke to takeoff safe like liquor? I asked some friends and they dont have a problem driving with light use, much like one beer for lunch. And lots of athletes use even flying down a mountain at 80mph. Its not black and white.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Well Bill, to follow up on a previous thread: I went back and looked at the Basic Med form and under part "N" here's what I was referring to (direct quote) "Substance dependency, failed a drug test ever or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the past two years". The last part seems pretty definitive to me so I don't know where your FAA guy is coming from as MJ is still listed as a class one on the federal level and we fly under federal regulations not Colorado.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

The medical advisory person read me the form for 3rd class medical over the phone, perhaps your form is different. I dont use it nor do I have "substance dependency" so I havent worried about that clause.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    I went back and looked at the Basic Med form and under part "N" here's what I was referring to (direct quote) "Substance dependency, failed a drug test ever or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the past two years".
    Despite the wording on this Med form, who would ever actually voluntarily admit to these onerous questions when your objective is to renew your medical?

Well, short answer, someone who doesn't want to lie on a government form.

Longer answer, I think it's more "perception protection" for the FAA. Some habitual drunk or drug abuser who maybe just hasn't been caught yet gets a pilot's license and proceeds to do something sadly predictable. Press interviews friends and neighbors and finds out he's got a huge problem and everyone knew about it. Would YOU want to answer questions about why you gave him a certificate without even so much as asking the question? I sure wouldn't.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Banned
    You say, "perception protection". That's a euphemism for cover your behind. Either way those form questions do nothing to protect the applicant or the public so they should be made irrelevant and therefore deleted.
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 11-20-2017 at 08:43 AM.