Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Cylinder Wrench - won't fit

Brand New Cylinder Wrench - won't fit

Hi, All;

As some of you may know from another thread, I'm in the process of disassembling a Continental O-200. While I'm not quite at the cylinder removal part yet (but close), I thought I'd see if I could break-loose the base nuts. Of course, my wrenches (standard box/combo wrenches) wouldn't fit, and sockets are out of the question.

So I ordered 1/2 & 9/16 wrenches from ACS (although they were branded as ATS wrenches - a/c tool service). Just got the 9/16 one yesterday. Ooops - it doesn't fit. Either it's too thick around the circumference so it won't fit between the cylinder base and the side of the nut or it's too thick in height to bet between the cylinder fin and over the stud.

Is this normal? Are there better-fit wrenches out there? Must one grind on brand-new wrenches a bit to get them to fit? I paid more for the ATS wrenches instead of ACS' own brand because ATS said theirs were thinner to fit where others wouldn't without having to grind them.

*sigh*
    Suggestions? (and Thanks!)

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Totally common with the 1/2 and 9/16 on Continentals. 30 seconds on a grinder will have them fit perfectly.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Snap On makes thinner wrenches but for the price difference I would go over to the Rural King, get a Pro Grade wrench & grind it to fit. On a side note, I keep my eyes open when at antique shops & flea markets for serviceable decent quality wrenches (no cheap chinese stuff) I picked up a dozen wrenches & a couple 1/2 inch extensions just the other day. If you have an extra you only paid a couple bucks for it doesn't feel as bad when you grind it down.

The cylinder wrenches I borrowed from a local A&P had spent some quality time at the grinder. Do whatever it takes to make them work, otherwise they are worthless.

Name:  12-02302a.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  14.4 KB
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 11-12-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Yep, mine got grinder marks on them too!!
    Cheers!

Joe

You can always tell a new mechanic by his cylinder wrenches. If they haven't been substantially modified, he hasn't used them.

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    You can always tell a new mechanic by his cylinder wrenches. If they haven't been substantially modified, he hasn't used them.
    Interesting. I have a set from Spruce that works just fine on my wide deck O-320 without modification. I wonder if the problem is unique to Continentals or narrow deck Lycomings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    The cylinder wrenches I borrowed from a local A&P had spent some quality time at the grinder. Do whatever it takes to make them work, otherwise they are worthless.

Name:  12-02302a.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  14.4 KB
    I have helped take apart a few aircraft engines & for opposed engines, while the A&P I was working with had that type of wrench we never used them. I have some box end adapters that are similar to a crows foot that we used for the couple nuts we couldn't get a regular box end wrench on when we didn't want to remove the entire intake & exhaust. I do have a set of right angle open end cylinder wrenches for Pratt & Whitney radials that I bought cheap from an estate, but again, I have never used them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I have helped take apart a few aircraft engines & for opposed engines, while the A&P I was working with had that type of wrench we never used them. I have some box end adapters that are similar to a crows foot that we used for the couple nuts we couldn't get a regular box end wrench on when we didn't want to remove the entire intake & exhaust. I do have a set of right angle open end cylinder wrenches for Pratt & Whitney radials that I bought cheap from an estate, but again, I have never used them.
    Those adapters may work for disassembly but the cylinder wrenches are necessary for properly torquing the cylinder nuts during reassembly. Correct torque is imperative to prevent potentially catastrophic failure of the cylinder through-studs.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Those adapters may work for disassembly but the cylinder wrenches are necessary for properly torquing the cylinder nuts during reassembly. Correct torque is imperative to prevent potentially catastrophic failure of the cylinder through-studs.
    Ah, I was not aware of that fact. I did the disassembly, the A&P did the reassembly when I wasn't around.