Thread: Copy and paste

Copy and paste

Is there a way to type a response in Word, then copy and paste it to a thread? I'e (see what I mean), I've tried but no success. It takes forever to type on here when the letters just don't show up without tapping them several times. Took me 3 min. to type this. Very aggravating.
    Bob

1. Write what you will in Word.
    2. Click at the start of the text.
    3. Hold the left shift key and click at the end of the text.
    4. Right click over the now highlighted text and select “copy.”
    5. Open up the browser and the forum post you wish to paste to.
    6. Click in the reply box.
    7. Right click and select “paste.”
    8. Become really enamored with this feature and learn what TL : DR means in Internetspeak.

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I've had no problems copying things to threads via the computer's clipboard. Frank gave a good summary, but personally, I use the keyboard short cuts:

1. In Word, hit Control-A to highlight the entire article
    2. In Word, hit Control-C to copy the entire article to the clipboard.
    3. Go to the Forum page, and click "Reply" or "New Thread" to enter the Forum edit window.
    4. Click in the edit window, and hit Control-V to copy the clipboard to it.

Understand...anything special you do in Word (formatting, fonts, highlight, underline, etc.) is NOT going to come over when you do this. Personally, I tend to use the Windows Notepad to write stuff off-browser, just to keep from trying to make it fancy.

Now, let's look at your underlying problem: Letters not showing or showing up slow when you try to type in the Forum edit window.

When you're in the edit window, there is a line of buttons/controls just above it... the "B" for Boldface, "I" for Italics, etc. Just above the "B", there's a couple of small buttons that have A/A...one has a red "X". These control overall formatting...the first button controls the "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG) Mode. Some browsers have problems with this. The next time you try to respond, click the first button to turn it on or off. Then see if you still have the entry problem.

I believe the problem you're reporting is a browser issue....I used to have the same problem when I used Internet Explorer at work, and it didn't occur when I used Firefox at home. Depending on how old your Internet Explorer is, that might be related to the issue.

Personally, I fixed my problem by retiring. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

I think I still have a PowerPoint presentation the the "MicroSoft Preferred Methods" of opening applications somewhere. It has nothing to do with icons on a desktop.

Frank "Scanning a mimeographed copy of text into my OCR reader for archiving" Giger
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Ctrl - A, C, X, and V
    I hope these old CPM and Wordstar commands live forever.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll give it a try.
    Bob