Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sport Pilot DAR

Joe,
    Bruce Kitelinger, ASI at Seattle FSDO told me they either can't or won't do any EA-B inspections (forgot the reason). He may have said it isn't funded anymore.
    Whatever the reason, I think this might be a good time for EAA to propose an alternative.
    I was thinking maybe EAA Technical Counselors could do the final inspection for Light Sport. Of course, without declaring or signing any airworthiness declaration, same as all TC inspections to avoid liability. The builder should declare airworthiness or condition and take the liability.
    Since no inspection at all is required for up to 254 pound ultralights, it seems logical a limited inspection for Light Sport up to say 496 pounds could be tried.
    I think in the UK, LAA (Light Aircraft Association) does registration.
    EAA could offer to take over Light Sport registration and safety tracking. FAA would still issue N numbers to builders for $5.

President Trump ordered reduced regulation from agencies like FAA with his order to drop two rules for each new reg.
    Might be a good time for the regulation relief that Paul Poberezny dreamed of and worked for his entire life through EAA.
    EAA could help the FAA by finding ideas for rules that need to be dropped.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 11-13-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Bruce Kitelinger, ASI at Seattle FSDO told me they either can't or won't do any EA-B inspections (forgot the reason). He may have said it isn't funded anymore.
    In either case, it has to be in a written - in a document that originated from the mighty palace at 800 independence avenue SW or a document produced by the FSDO manager. I'd be like using their own words: "show me the data?"

The FAA says they don't regulate the pricing practices of designees but buy controlling the quantity of designees they are doing exactly that. Scarcity is one of the most basic economic principles.

"Won't" would be the correct term, as "can't" would be an untruth. There is nothing in FAA documentation that would prohibit any FSDO from doing amateur-built inspections. There are quite a few offices around the country that continue to do Amateur-built inspections with no problem. I think "Don't want to" would be the most accurate description of your situation.

So, instead of talking to the FSDO, talk to the MIDO. It actually is the MIDO's direct responsibility to do the inspections anyway, rather than the FSDO. Check with the MIDO and you should have better luck.
    Cheers!

Joe

Thanks Joe.
    I will plan on talking to MIDO when finished.
    If for some reason they can't travel 150 miles to my location, I could consider trailering to them.

Thanks Joe.
    I will plan on talking to MIDO when finished.
    If for some reason they can't travel 150 miles to my location, I could consider trailering to them.
    I'm sure the MIDO will be able to help you. And they may appreciate you coming to them. I've done several inspections where the owner brought the aircraft to me. This was especially true with Powered Parachutes, but I had a few fixed-wing aircraft show up on a trailer too. Just have to have room to assemble it and have it "ready for flight" for the inspection.
    Cheers!

Joe

Maybe you could do a batch of inspections at Oshkosh. Say around the end of July.

It would be fun and educational for other builders if they could watch.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 11-13-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Maybe you could do a batch of inspections at Oshkosh. Say around the end of July.

It would be fun and educational for other builders if they could watch.
    In theory, that would be a neat idea Bill. Unfortunately, the reality is that my duties here at EAA would preclude me from having the time to do inspections during convention time. Believe me, you're not the first person to suggest this. But it just won't work out.
    Cheers!

Joe

Maybe another DAR with free time could volunteer to do it.