Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Pilot DAR

Sport Pilot DAR

Anyone know about the Sport Pilot DAR? As mentioned in this FAA document page 345 https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/ea...pilot-rule.pdf
    Where it says: • [New sport pilot Designated Airworthiness Representatives (DARs) for light-sportaircraft will need to take a three-day training course in order to issue airworthinesscertificates for light sport aircraft. ]

Is this program available? What are the qualifications to be a Sport Pilot DAR?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 11-09-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Bill,

Actually, the statement should not have the word "Sport Pilot" in it, as a DAR has nothing to do with pilot certificates. There have been Light-Sport Aircraft DARs in existence since about 2005 or so. In fact, I was the first DAR to be issued function codes 47 and 48 (SLSA and ELSA). Light-Sport DARs were the people largely responsible for issuing airworthiness certificates to all of the "transitioned" ELSA aircraft (that is, those two-seat aircraft that had been operated under ultralight training exemptions, or had not been otherwise certificated).

There have been several iterations of the DAR training courses, but under the current system, every DAR applicant (regardless of which function codes they are applying for) must take the initial designee training at the FAA campus in Oklahoma City, OK. They also much take certain online courses that may apply to their various requested functions.

Eligibility and qualifications to become a DAR are found in FAA Order 8000.95, which can be found by going to www.faa.gov and searching for the order. I'd post a direct link here, but the FAA has a habit of changing links every now and then, so whatever link I posted would not be valid for long. It's easier just do go and do the search.
    Cheers!

Joe

Thanks Joe,
    I take from your reply that the hurdles required for a Light Sport DAR are the same as for the heavier EA-B aircraft.
    Sort of defeats the mission and goal of the Light Sport rule, I think.
    A Light Sport Instuctor certificate is much simpler, for example.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Thanks Joe,
    I take from your reply that the hurdles required for a Light Sport DAR are the same as for the heavier EA-B aircraft.
    Sort of defeats the mission and goal of the Light Sport rule, I think.
    A Light Sport Instuctor certificate is much simpler, for example.
    Bill,

Issuing a light-sport airworthiness certificate is the very same process, using the same guidance, as issuing an amateur-built airworthiness certificate (or a standard one for that matter). This is totally separate from the pilot rules, so you can't compare a DAR to a DPE. While the certification standards are different for SLSA as compared to a standard category aircraft, the actual process for issuing the airworthiness certification process is very similar. Thus, the training for the DARs is basically the same regardless of what particular function codes the DAR is seeking.
    Cheers!

Joe

The United States Ultralight Assiciation requested the Light Sport Rule have three tiers. That didn't happen.
    So the very light end, (my near ultralight but 300 pound single seat Light Sport design, for example), must comply with the same rules.
    I was hoping this Light Sport DAR was something I could get for myself and perhaps others (as dealers) if I sold kits or plans.

Sadly, looks like it might not be worth the trouble.

The problem is that significant testing will be needed, so paying for a DAR inspection seems expensive and pointless for what may be only one flight.
    Another option I considered was applying for a Special Flight Permit until all the airframe, engine and prop changes are complete.

Have you talked to your local FAA office? I chased my tail on DAR's and on a resigned whim called them up to find that sure, if I could wait a couple weeks they could send a man around.

The conventional wisdom is that the FAA has no time for inspections, but that ain't always true.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I talked to the Seattle FSDO at the last I.A. Renewal. He said they won't do any inspections.
    Seems to me an I.A. should be adequate for an airworthiness inspection on a near ultralight one seater, at least. And perhaps any Light Sport.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 11-10-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Seems to me an I.A. should be adequate for an airworthiness inspection on a near ultralight one seater, at least. And perhaps any Light Sport.
    You would think. Seems the industry/alphabet group poo-poo’d that idea by suggesting A&P’s and A&P’s with IA are not qualified to inspect aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    You would think. Seems the industry/alphabet group poo-poo’d that idea by suggesting A&P’s and A&P’s with IA are not qualified to inspect aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate.
    Yeah.
    The builder signs the form and declares the aircraft in condition for safe operation. The I.A could do a simple checklist for compliance. Data plate, placards, experimental decal, etc.

Yeah.
    The builder signs the form and declares the aircraft in condition for safe operation. The I.A could do a simple checklist for compliance. Data plate, placards, experimental decal, etc.
    The FAA has no problem with an A&P performing a condition inspection but by golly they are not qualified to perform an inspection for issuance of a special a/w certificate. Go figure