Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal question

Quote Originally Posted by jethro99 View Post
    The greatest stresses (normally encountered) on an air frame result from taxiing for take off and the take off roll.
    Bunk. I ain't ever seen an airframe bent or blown tire takeoff on taxiout or takeoff, but I've seen plenty on landing. Frankly, you shouldn't be "stressing" the airframe in any of those modes of operation. Hour limits are way more involved than that. You're probably one of those people who thinks the engine wear is a direct functions of the number of revolutions the engine has turned.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro99 View Post
    The greatest stresses (normally encountered) on an air frame result from taxiing for take off and the take off roll.
    Is that why some planes can takeoff at a higher weight than they can land at? Oh, wait a minute........

OK folks. Somebody please answer my question.

Like I said, I know what flight time (Hobbs) and time in service (Tach) are.

14CFR 1.1
    Time in service, with respect to maintenance time records, means the time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until it touches it at the next point of landing.
    Flight time means:
    (1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or
    (2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when the glider comes to rest after landing.

My question is: which one does the FAA want me to use to satisfy the Operation Limitations of an AB Experimental aircraft?

Anybody know of someone in "EAA legal" that could answer this?

Thanks.

Like I said, I know what flight time (Hobbs) and time in service (Tach) are.

Apparently not, because HOBBS and TACH do not necessarily read either one of those.

The FAA wants you to use time in service. flight time only applies to pilot logbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by whankinson View Post
    My question is: which one does the FAA want me to use to satisfy the Operation Limitations of an AB Experimental aircraft?

Anybody know of someone in "EAA legal" that could answer this?
    There has never been a legal interpretation on this, so there is no specific answer. I know from experience that the FAA has no problem with using one's own watch to record this time, just like they accept that method when recording flight time in your logbook. This would be more equivalent to Hobbs time rather than tach time, but you could use whichever one is easiest for you to keep track of.

Happy flying...safely!
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Apparently not, because HOBBS and TACH do not necessarily read either one of those.

The FAA wants you to use time in service. flight time only applies to pilot logbooks.
    x2. The most correct answer is “time in service”

I am personally just amazed that someone is that keen to follow the rules so scrupulously.

Since neither Hobbs or Tach time are required to be recorded in the first place, it's on the honor system and always has been. Egregious fudging is not in the best interest of the pilot/owner of the aircraft, so it's not very common. This is why log books are so valuable when buying or selling an aircraft or engine...without them any claims of the amount of service rise to the level of rumor.

Frank "What number is the big hand on?" Giger
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I amazed how much confusion can be generated over a brand name. I wonder if the workers at the Hobbs hour meter company use Hobbs time for lunch break and clock time for work? Or maybe vise versa?

If the plane has a Datcon brand hourmeter, does one log Datcon time?

Seems to me, Marty, that hobbs meter, like kleenex, has become a commodity name.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Seems to me, Marty, that hobbs meter, like kleenex, has become a commodity name.
    lol, great example Larry. All this discussion makes me thirsty, think I’ll have a Coke! One of those root beer flavored cokes!