Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopped working, won't activate...

Stopped working, won't activate...

So I tried to open a SW part tonight to make a minor change, and it tells me "Activation transaction failed" "Serial number expired". Then, "This Student Edition has expired". It sends me to www.solidworks.com/goEDU, which doesn't work. The first time it said the server was too busy, now it doesn't respond at all.

I tried renaming the FLEXnet folder, no difference. I tried deleting FLEXnet folder, no difference. I tried un-installing, downloading SW again and re-installing, no difference. I was emailed the exact same key I already had.

Ideas? Suggestions? This is on a Windows 10 PC on which it ran fine the last time I used it, a couple of months ago.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

No ideas, nobody has had this happen before?

Sigh.

I'm not familiar with the software but what did Solidworks say when you called them? Were they unable to help?

Sorry Dale, can't help. I don't run the EAA version very often which might be why I have not seen that problem. I also run Win7 but I have no idea if that is relevant or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    So I tried to open a SW part tonight to make a minor change, and it tells me "Activation transaction failed" "Serial number expired". Then, "This Student Edition has expired". It sends me to www.solidworks.com/goEDU, which doesn't work. The first time it said the server was too busy, now it doesn't respond at all.

I tried renaming the FLEXnet folder, no difference. I tried deleting FLEXnet folder, no difference. I tried un-installing, downloading SW again and re-installing, no difference. I was emailed the exact same key I already had.

Ideas? Suggestions? This is on a Windows 10 PC on which it ran fine the last time I used it, a couple of months ago.
    Do you have 2016 installed? You may have reached the expiration of your license. You will need to go here to renew: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membe...ent-design-kit

If you already went through the renewal process and left the old activation key in the form fields instead of replacing it with the new one DS SolidWorks sent you, it will run until your 2016 license expires and then stop.

To replace the old activation key with the new one:

1. Go to the Windows Control Panel
    2. Go to ‘Programs and Features’
    3. Locate the ‘SolidWorks 20XX SPX.X’ installation in the list of program and elect to ‘Change’ it
    4. Select ‘Modify the individual installation’ and proceed ‘Next’
    5. Change the currently listed serial number to the desired number
    6. Proceed to the ‘Product Selection’ screen include any additional add-ins that the new serial number is entitled to (or remove products no longer entitled to the new serial number)
    7. Proceed to the ‘Summary’ screen and then select ‘Modify Now’ to complete the modification

I have the same problem as DaleB.

Installed a little over a month ago, and everything worked fine. Tried to use SW last and I get the "Student Edition" expired message.

I checked the SN in Windows 10 Add/Remove programs and it matches the SW2017 SN I received in the email. Also tried to delete the FlexNet folder. That also did not work.

Not sure what to try next, other than a complete uninstall/reinstall. Any advice from Dassault on how to properly clean the registry for a fresh install? Is simply uninstalling the application enough to get rid of any old stuff from 2016??

Thanks,
    kmonroe

Cory, thanks for the suggestion. I did visit the page to which you linked to renew my license. I filled out and submitted the form, and got a page saying, "Thank you for filling out the form to access SOLIDWORKS. You will soon receive an email with your unique access code to login to SOLIDWORKS."

I waited all day, no email. Tried it again late yesterday, same result but still no email. I've watched the logs on my mail server just in case the email is triggering an anti-SPAM measure; nothing at all from EAA, Solidworks or Dassault. Do you know how long it usually takes?

I submitted a Student Edition service request to Solidworks about this problem. I received an automated email indicating they have my request and that somebody will respond. I'll post here if I learn anything new.

DaleB,

I was able to get my Student Edition Solidworks functional. All I had to do was re-activate my license using an app in the Solidworks directory. Before you do this, make sure your SN has been entered using modify option in Windows Add/Remove programs.

Here's what I did:

1. Open a folder in windows and navigate to the Solidworks install directory. Should be something like "C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS".
    2. Find the file called "swactwiz_s.exe" and double click on it. You should get a dialog that says "Solidworks Product Activation", select "Activate/Reactivate your product license(s)".
    3. Click "Next", verify "Automatically over the internet (recommended)" is checked.
    4. Click "Next", this should show your contact and school (EAA for us) information.
    5. If that's all correct, click next. The app should connect to Solidworks and re-activate your license.

Hope this works for you.

Regards,
    kmonroe

That's the program that fails and gives me the error message.

I've tried three times now over the past few days to renew my license, per Cory's instructions. Each time it says, "Thank you for filling out the form to access SOLIDWORKS. You will soon receive an email with your unique access code to login to SOLIDWORKS." I have not yet received any such email. And yes, I watched all incoming connection attempts to the mail server to ensure that it's not getting refused or shuffled off to anti-SPAM hell. I run my own mail server, so I'm certain there has been no email from Solidworks or EAA.

Don't know what else I can do.