Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stewart Covering System

Auto gas hasn't effected my covering's glue in the slightest.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Stewart's is great for all the reasons others have mentioned. However, be aware that you have to fog it on lightly or you'll just make a mess and waste the paint. The top coat has to be fogged on VERY lightly. You sort of sneak up on applying it. If you get too aggressive or impatient, you'll soon find yourself wasting your time and money wiping off the alligator hide you've created. The wee droplets of paint like to sit by themselves on the surface before they extend their arms to their neighbors and come together. Too many droplets and you get a riotous finish. You will be amazed at how glossy the finish is, regardless of the humidity outside.

This advice runs completely contrary to my experience with SS paint. The top coat must be applied as a medium wet coat at least to get a decent gloss. The initial coats are to be fogged in lightly through color saturation, but such fogging leaves the surface looking like 1000 grit sandpaper- which is exactly what you want prior to applying the final wet coat.
    Last edited by Jeff Point; 11-16-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

To be honest, I don't really like glossy finishes on fabric.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Auto gas with ethanol will raise the paint and soften the glue if you don't catch it in time. Less than half hour. I painted my plane in 2016 with Stewart process.
    It was great as everybody here has said. But I have a wing off now, replacing a couple tapes and sanding down a lot of paint, because of gas
    leak with car gas with only 5% ethanol. That being said, I am recovering a certified airplane now, that will only see AV gas, with Stewart and
    have no second thoughts about it.