Thread: Amending the Operating Limitations to IFR

Amending the Operating Limitations to IFR

Perhaps this has come up in the past, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I purchased an Experimental aircraft two years ago that has the following operating limitation... "After completion of phase 1 flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only."

Now, I have spent the last year upgrading the panel to dual EFIS and GNS480. Having satisfied 91.205, is there anything else that has to be done as in... with the FAA, in order to file IFR (I'm not talking about altimeter/transponder checks), or are my operating limitations in-fact not limiting me any longer?

More importantly for me, how would I go about changing my operating limitations to "Day/Night and/or IFR"?

I'll try attaching before and after photos below.

Thanks, Capt_Meatballs.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nothing needs to be amended. Once you've flown off your phase I and meet the requirements for night/ifr flight under 91.205 you're good to go.

Nothing needs to be amended. Once you've flown off your phase I and meet the requirements for night/ifr flight under 91.205 you're good to go.

Thanks for your help Ron, I had figured as much.

I'd still like to pursue the Operating Limitations amendment though, if anyone could highlight a path for it.

I have contacted the local FSDO, and the person I talked to stated she "didn't think experimental aircraft could fly IFR"... I kid you not! Still waiting for someone at the FAA to call me back about it.

Capt. Meatballs
    Last edited by Capt_Meatballs; 06-11-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Hey Ron, just got a call back from the DAR. He said the same thing you said. I guess I should just leave it at that, unless someone else has any other ideas.

Thanks a bunch.

By the way, I was at Long Island airpark a few years back, and almost bought the lot across from Elwin. Great community you guys have. Please give my regards to Elwin, Reid, and Jill, from Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Meatballs View Post
    I'd still like to pursue the Operating Limitations amendment though, if anyone could highlight a path for it.
    These are not the droids you seek.

You do NOT want to go through amending your OL's unless there's a good reason for it, and you do not have a good reason for it. You're legal per your OL's, and that's all you need. Per the governing order (8130.2H, IIRC) the new OL's, if you got them, would say exactly what your current ones do - if equipped per 91.205, you're legal for night/IFR.

Be happy with what you've got. Some OL's do NOT allow night/IFR, and some OL's require a new AC and OL's after a major change. You always want the least restrictive OL's you can get.

Roger that Mark. Thank you.

I did not see a compass but presume that you have that.

I did not see a compass but presume that you have that.

Of course. Bottom right on first image.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Meatballs View Post

Of course. Bottom right on first image.
    If the GRT Mini has a magnetometer, you don't need the separate compass. If it doesn't, you do :-).

If the GRT Mini has a magnetometer, you don't need the separate compass. If it doesn't, you do :-).
    After looking it up, I am surprised to have to agree with you on this one Mark. 91.205(b)(3) only specifies a "Magnetic Direction Indicator". I'll buy that!

The Minis do have a magnetometer, but the compass was already there. No harm in a small redundancy, eh?! 😁