I sometimes watch various car or motorcycle tv shows, one thing in common with EAA is one founder, John Krajen (sp.?) of the big auction show was a partner in Coutesy Aircraft, which is a long time exhibitor at EAA. Its fun to see what Mark has for sale every year and wish you could pick out a couple of the best planes to take home. And Harley Davidson, along with Mercury is a Wi based sponsor at EAA. Many of us grew up liking sport type cars or motorcycles or even still ride them. There's not much more high performance that an an all out race motorcycle not many things as thrilling or dangerous. The top bikes have over 200 hp, more than some compact cars and weigh under maybe 375 lbs. They outaccelrate any car and only brake a bit less than a F1 car. They lap Daytona at 210 mph speed. Remembe in Top Gun Tom Cruise also rides a Triumph I think it was. I used to ride my Honda 500 to my flight lessons in San Diego at Mongomery Field and Miramar was teh airport just to the north and almost sharing downwind in the pattern.

I was also watching the huge cycle rally at Sturgis and comparing it to Airventure. It had some similarites and some big differecnes. There are a lot of people ,maybe 600,000 for the week, Hotels sell out but rates may go up to $250 still cheaper than Oshosh. Machines are important but maybe not the focus as more on people. Probably not as many famous people, maybe some infamous ones. There are custom and style type exhibits. I dont know if the have fourms but the od have custom built contest, kind of like Lindy award winners at EAA. The big difference is alchol and bars and drinking are a major focus., to excess unlike Osh. There are several hundred cops and lots of arrest for being drunk or generally troublesome. Osh by contrast has almost no arrests. The setting is scenic, more arid than Osh but maybe with its own beauty. Whle there you could see the monuments esp Crazy Horse.
I d like to go once, I think that like Osh it would be fun to see, dont know if Id want to do it every year. And it might be a really good thing to get to know some people who may dress or seem outside the norms. Both types like leater jackets!One thing I remember from my sociology course was that its common for groups to have a uniform, maybe their own slang or id in some way. Can be good or bad, SS or KKK. Army ranger or Navy Seals, RAF or a car or bike club, or Shriner, NFL or NHL, Ryder Cup or football team, kilt or baggy jeans, short hair like a Marine or long beard like the other side! Part of human nature over much of history or the world.
Has anyone here gone and what was it like?