Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EAA Airventure and Strugis

EAA Airventure and Strugis

I sometimes watch various car or motorcycle tv shows, one thing in common with EAA is one founder, John Krajen (sp.?) of the big auction show was a partner in Coutesy Aircraft, which is a long time exhibitor at EAA. Its fun to see what Mark has for sale every year and wish you could pick out a couple of the best planes to take home. And Harley Davidson, along with Mercury is a Wi based sponsor at EAA. Many of us grew up liking sport type cars or motorcycles or even still ride them. There's not much more high performance that an an all out race motorcycle not many things as thrilling or dangerous. The top bikes have over 200 hp, more than some compact cars and weigh under maybe 375 lbs. They outaccelrate any car and only brake a bit less than a F1 car. They lap Daytona at 210 mph speed. Remembe in Top Gun Tom Cruise also rides a Triumph I think it was. I used to ride my Honda 500 to my flight lessons in San Diego at Mongomery Field and Miramar was teh airport just to the north and almost sharing downwind in the pattern.

I was also watching the huge cycle rally at Sturgis and comparing it to Airventure. It had some similarites and some big differecnes. There are a lot of people ,maybe 600,000 for the week, Hotels sell out but rates may go up to $250 still cheaper than Oshosh. Machines are important but maybe not the focus as more on people. Probably not as many famous people, maybe some infamous ones. There are custom and style type exhibits. I dont know if the have fourms but the od have custom built contest, kind of like Lindy award winners at EAA. The big difference is alchol and bars and drinking are a major focus., to excess unlike Osh. There are several hundred cops and lots of arrest for being drunk or generally troublesome. Osh by contrast has almost no arrests. The setting is scenic, more arid than Osh but maybe with its own beauty. Whle there you could see the monuments esp Crazy Horse.
    I d like to go once, I think that like Osh it would be fun to see, dont know if Id want to do it every year. And it might be a really good thing to get to know some people who may dress or seem outside the norms. Both types like leater jackets!One thing I remember from my sociology course was that its common for groups to have a uniform, maybe their own slang or id in some way. Can be good or bad, SS or KKK. Army ranger or Navy Seals, RAF or a car or bike club, or Shriner, NFL or NHL, Ryder Cup or football team, kilt or baggy jeans, short hair like a Marine or long beard like the other side! Part of human nature over much of history or the world.
    Has anyone here gone and what was it like?

The car auction I saw was Mecum, many of the vintage restorations a parallel to the great classic airplanes.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Bill Greenwood;66707I was also watching the huge cycle rally at Sturgis and comparing it to Airventure. It had some similarites and some big differecnes.[/QUOTE]

What were you watching? Absolutely NO similarities, only gigantic differences. Sturgis makes Oshkosh look like a Vatican prayer meeting.

Sturgis is Sodom and Gamorah, Oshkosh is Disneyand meets Branson, Missouri.

Sturgis is sex, drugs and rock n' roll compared to Oshkosh Romper Room. Sturgis is beautifully endowed women walking and driving big bikes around half naked in bikinis and sometimes topless. Oshkosh is old white guys in Bermuda shorts driving around in mobility scooters.

If Sturgis incorporated lots of airplanes with their bikes, maybe we'd all be heading to North Dakota instead of Wisconsin next summer. Hmmmmmm....there's the germ of an idea there, what ya think Jack?

Been to AirVenture once. Never been to Sturgis, but every year I try to attend nearby (to me) Hollister (California) 4th of July Biker Rally for an afternoon. Sometimes I fly into Hollister Muni (KCVH) and catch a ride into town.
    I agree with how Floatsflyer characterizes the bike rally attendees except for the beautiful buxom ladies part. These biker rallies are about 95 percent fat white guys and the few girlfriends that do tag along are typically nothing to write home to mama about in — any department — including brains, looks, or other.

Sturgis is the week after Oshkosh. On I-90 in South Dakota. I drive by after Oshkosh. Not much going on a week early but lots of cops. Every vehicle was at speed limit including bikes. I got pulled over for failure to yield to a cop car parked on the roadside. The law is you must yield and move to the left fast lane. I told the cop about the three motorcycles that were in the left lane so I couldn't yield. Seemed like a set up to me.
    He let me go.

I don't want to see most of the women in attendance at either event wearing bikinis. You just can't un-see that stuff. On the other hand, there's some eye candy tending bar over at the SOS tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    If Sturgis incorporated lots of airplanes with their bikes, maybe we'd all be heading to North Dakota instead of Wisconsin next summer.
    You'd miss the party, Floats... Sturgis is in South, not North, Dakota.

Other than that, you were dead on. Oshkosh is structured, hosted by a nonprofit corporation. No one hosts Sturgis, no one defines what is done and not done (except local/state/federal ordinances), there's no admission fee. People just show up.

And, like Floats says, Sturgis is an adult event. Oshkosh is a family one. Don't see that changing, anytime soon. The two really aren't comparable.

Mind you, there's nothing that prevents someone from setting up a Sturgis-type event for aviation.

Ron "Born to be Mild" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Mind you, there's nothing that prevents someone from setting up a Sturgis-type event for aviation.

I believe that its been done. I recall a "kegger" with guns and aircraft when passing through SE Asia in 69.
    Bob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    You'd miss the party, Floats... Sturgis is in South, not North, Dakota.

You are correct, thanks for the geography lesson. Shoulda used my Foreflight.

Guns and airplanes, I'm in. This isn't really important but, is it legal to mount a gun on an aircraft, or truck for that matter ? Just curious, that's all.
    Bob