Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This months Sport Aviation Magazine.

This months Sport Aviation Magazine.

I look forward to every issue and read them front to back and back to front. This month they show a couple war birds. The YL-15 and the awesome single seat A-20G Havoc. Love both these airplanes. But looking at the pics of the YL-15 I noticed a round ring type of thing on the top of the tail boom. I then noticed this same thing on the Havoc. This must be an antenna of some sort. Could someone explain what these round rings are on both these airplanes

Love the Magazine.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I look forward to every issue and read them front to back and back to front. This month they show a couple war birds. The YL-15 and the awesome single seat A-20G Havoc. Love both these airplanes. But looking at the pics of the YL-15 I noticed a round ring type of thing on the top of the tail boom. I then noticed this same thing on the Havoc. This must be an antenna of some sort. Could someone explain what these round rings are on both these airplanes
    That's a convenient ring so you can hang them from a hanger in your hangar. :-)

Actually, it's an Automatic Direction Finder (ADF) antenna. The loop rotates on its vertical axis. The operator tunes in a station, and then cranks the loop around until the signal disappears. The antenna is then pointing in the direction of the transmitter.

Ron Wanttaja

An ADF requires 2 antenna. A sense antenna and a loop antenna. Safe bet to say the loop antenna was named based on it's appearance. Because there are 2 null positions for the loop 180 degrees apart, the sense antenna is used to determine direction to station. While the original loops had to be rotated by hand, later versions had a motor that did the rotating. The position of the antenna was synchronized with a pointer in the cockpit that pointed toward the station.

While I do look forward to every magazine. This months magazine shocked me when I read the very first paragraph. The first time I heard this "it takes a village to raise a child " this phrase turned my stomach. For it takes a family with a Father and Mother to raise a child.
    Don't ask us to not talk politics on this forum then quote a politician. Why not quote this politician.....Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country..If you ask me this is more in line with the mission statement of the EAA then it takes a village crap.

When I read that first paragraph it offended me as a father and grandfather.

H.A.S.

People read the editorials?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    People read the editorials?
    Just to check spelling and grammar.

Ron "This one is OK" Wanttaja

1600vw, in your anger, consider a couple of facts about the village and child saying, First, and most important, nowhere does that saying exclude having good parents, the best scenario is to have two loving parents, but others in the child's life can also be supportive and formative in the best way, people like teachers of course, maybe other parents, coaches,doctors, school bus driver, Cub Scout leader( even a lazy one like me) minister, and very important Grandparents. Your pediatrician is vital and baby sitters and day care or play group people are priceless. If a village has no place, only parents, then a family must be hopeless it the loses a parent to war or sickness or accident? In today's world children are often more isolated than perhaps in our childhood, and a teacher who notices and reports bruises on a child can be a lifesaver, literally. Today both parents may be working and have less time with children.
    Next, no matter how much you dislike a particular politician, know that the saying is from an old African proverb, and it was also in a children's book before your nemesis quoted it. And as a Mother she has raised one daughter which by all accounts is a first rate lady. Her husband said of her with the birth of her first granddaughter that was her top wish.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-04-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Great article on the YL-15. My dad used to fly that same airplane for the FWS in Alaska back in the 50's.

That is one unusual looking plane! I talked to the owners and builders, nice folks and they also knew it makes one take a 2nd look.

I certainly need to look up the owner and compare notes. I'm delighted that he and his father went through the trouble of keeping that plane alive. Otherwise such a rare plane would just be a memory of old stories for just a few of us.