Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Improvements?

More stuff on building and flying WWI type airplanes.

(running away, laughing)
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Hey, I’m with you Frank. And I don’t even have one.

Yet.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post

(running away, laughing)
    Touche' !! ;-)

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Actually, your series on building your Nieuport, with its wit, detail, and candor, is what SHOULD be posted here.

A lot.

I'm sure there are members who love to read all about the latest turbine-powered whatsis, and are fascinated by tales of the big checks written for panel installation and custom paint on the newest JAFTHA*.

Me, I like to hear from the guys who AREN'T building with a massive customer-support organization behind them. The guys with jobs, the guys with young families, the guys in holes burned in dirty blue work shirts. The guys with skinned knuckles leaving smears of blood on precious plans, building a plane that won't end up on the cover of a magazine but represents a lifelong dream.

Everybody that has flown their own aircraft has a story. Everybody.

Ron Wanttaja

* JAFTHA: Just Another F***** Tin Homebuilt Airplane

Since I might have precipitated the last few comments, let me clarify my original intentions.

And, for the record, I am AMAZED at the workmanship, thought, design, etc that goes into a superbly-built non-turbine, non-electric airplane. I ogle them every chance I get to be in the proximity of one. However, that's not me, because I don't have anywhere near the skills to attempt it. And I have read a lot, not all, of the posts related to Frank's project.

Since Frank's project is so popular (justifiably so), some days there are multiple pages of comments. All I want to do is mark 'em read if I don't have the time that day to go thru them all.

Carl "short on time" (since Ron didn't include a clever identifier this time....)

Carl Orton

Certainly didn't mean to direct anything towards you and your airplane, Carl...always enjoy your posts. My apologies, even if you weren't offended. I just like the "JAFTHA" acronym too much. :-)

I tend to think scratch/plans builders get kind of short shrift in the EAA community. It's not deliberate. It's understandable; there are lots more RVs, Sonexes, Glastars, etc. out there, and it's natural for like-minded folks to drive the conversation into something they're interested in.

Back when I started as a flywriter, no one knew me and I couldn't get assignments to cover the "big" homebuilts. So, to keep being able to buy little chips of coal to keep my mighty Commodore 64 running, I wrote articles about the homebuilts in my chapter. All were scratch or plans built; the first four didn't have electrical systems. One of them even featured a shot of the plane on its back in a landing accident.

What was interesting is that these guys would go to a Fly-In later, and they'd be rock stars..."Hey, wasn't there an article about your airplane?" Made me feel pretty good.

It ain't THAT far from Oshkosh to the swamps of Arkansas, Missouri, or whatever southern state Frank lives in. EAA oughta send someone down to shoot pictures and write an article....

Ron "Ready for your close-up, Frank?" Wanttaja

I was just poking fun; I got the point he was trying to make about a handy "mark forums read" button.

I would like to see more detailed build threads, though. Having someone walk through either a wood or composite plane in particular would be fascinating.

There are a couple there, but alas, the steel fuselage one is another WWI representation.

Maybe it's a function of the WWI community, but it's the only group that seems to take pleasure and pride in showing the screw-ups as a warning...
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I suppose articles on various covering systems would be nice. Example: Poly Fiber, Superflite, Stewart, plain old dope, etc. All have their advantages and disadvantages
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

<snip> Maybe it's a function of the WWI community, but it's the only group that seems to take pleasure and pride in showing the screw-ups as a warning...
    Ron, Frank, I wasn't upset. I got Frank's humor about "running away, laughing". I just wanted to clarify my position on marking threads read.

And even though not a WW1 builder, I always enjoyed putting humorous self-deprecating notes in my online build log for the things that drove me batty. Perhaps as a warning to others, but I've had several other builders mention them to me, so I felt good that *someone* read my stuff.

Carl Orton

That's because you're helpful. I've run into a couple folks who won't say much about the build process or problems they had, as if their airplane just one day emerged from the foam of the sea, held in a giant shell.