Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Improvements?

Chris Owens. I think both subject and amount. For instance if one was at Airventure there are forums of many kinds and all sorts of things to hear, more than you can do But. Of the 16 topics on the fourum 11 don't have anything current ,some from months ago. some are good but very limited. One is 31 posts total since started one is 230 total I think, solidworks may be a strong interst for a few people. Very little applies to anythng for all of us.. Some big topics from the past were ATC privatization, FAA charges to EAA etc, discussions of night air show, etc.Whats the best topic you see today? Ill best Frank's on building a Nueport 11 is pretty good.
    If 20 pilots sat down at the bar at Hilton what would you talk about? Which is the best cotter key? Did you know if you use 1/2 cotter keys instead of 9/16 in your homebuilt it can be 11 ounces lighter and climb an inch per minute faster?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-03-2017 at 11:44 AM.

vB immensely prone to insertion attacks. I've not been following the EAAFORUMS woes too much, but some of the other big vB boards were hit hard (to the point of loosing the membership information/passwords).

I talked to Jesse at POA about XenForo before I started my conversion. It should be a pretty much no brainer here because this forum doesn't have much customization it would appear which is the big issue in the conversino.

One thing that would help me, as a reader is if people would use the spellcheck option.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barker View Post
    One thing that would help me, as a reader is if people would use the spellcheck option.
    Agreed, and new options for those that require them that ensure proper sentence structure, good grammar and the use of caps and periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Agreed, and new options for those that require them that ensure proper sentence structure, good grammar and the use of caps and periods.
    And an occasional paragraph break. 50 lines without a break makes my eyes water....

Ron"

" Wanttaja

Bill Barber, if you chek yur punktoatshun, with a reel schol techer, I think ya knead another coma aftr "reader".
    And thanks for your suggestion, I used to teach spelling in school, once used to spell pretty well, but I'm not good at typing and the computer often hangs up, and I don't take the time to edit, sort of like some posters who don't capitalize even proper nouns.
    Do you have any suggestions about aviation, that is perhaps ideas of substance over form?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-02-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    And an occasional paragraph break. 50 lines without a break makes my eyes water....

Ron"

" Wanttaja
    You have much more patience than I do. I just don't read long winded ongoing narratives with no paragraphing.

But your point is well taken. Those that do this, please stop. Please compile your thoughts in short stroke paragraphs that are easier to consume and comprehend. You'll receive much more attention and therefore more responses.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I used to teach spelling in school, once used to spell pretty well, but I'm not good at typing and the computer often hangs up, and I don't take the time to edit, sort of like some posters who don't capitalize even proper nouns.
    Here's the thing. If you don't/won't take the few extra moments of time to review what you write and edit and correct accordingly, why should we take the longer time to read your posts?

Chris Ownens. I think both subject and amount. For instance if one was at Airventuere there are fourms of many kinds and all sorts of things to hear, more than you can do But. Of the 16 topics on the fourum 11 dont have anytghikn current ,some from months ago. some are good but very limited. One is 31 posts total since started one is 230 total I think, solidworks may be a strong interst for a few people. Very little applies to anythng for all of us.. Some big topics from the past were ATC privitation, FAA charges to EAA etc, discussios of night air show, etc.Whats the best topic you see today? Ill best Franks on building a Nueport 11 is pretty good.
    If 20 pilots sat down at the bar at Hilton what would you talk about? Which is the best cotter key? Did you know if you use 1/2 cotter keys instead of 9/16 in your homebulit it can be 11 ounces lighter and climb an inch per minute faster?
    May just be a sign of the times. I belong to several type clubs, and one of those forums sees almost no traffic. A couple of the others a bit more, but not much.

Social media plays a pretty large role in today's communications. I see more traffic in one community that I frequent on social media than in their representative forum. Those platforms (whether it be Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or others) are much easier to contribute image-based content than almost any forum. To link an image to this post on this forum platform, for example, can take as many as a half dozen steps using different tools for each step. To quote a popular phrase, "Ain't nobody got time for that!". I love to see photos of other folks' progress on projects or flight experiences, and I'm technical enough to jump through those hoops -- and will -- if I'm serving those things to a community that I think would benefit or enjoy them. But many aren't.

As for discussions, I enjoy a good discussion on something that piques my interest, and will gladly participate in it, until someone brings an attitude into the discussion. Then I lose interest and will find someplace else to be. I haven't seen a lot of technical discussions here as I do on another similar site. They do come up on occasion, but not as often. But this community is much larger than homebuilding, so the diversity of content is greater. That may lean out the mix a bit in comparison if you're looking for a specific type of conversation. Also, there tends to be type-specific communities out there that many will spend their time in, where this forum seems more generic. Everything is competition for time these days.

Thanks for bringing up the topic. It's a tough nut to crack. Even my type-specific communities aren't seeing as much traffic as there was only a few years ago.

~Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 11-03-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Chris Ownens. I think both subject and amount. For instance if one was at Airventuere there are fourms of many kinds and all sorts of things to hear, more than you can do But. Of the 16 topics on the fourum 11 dont have anytghikn current ,some from months ago. some are good but very limited. One is 31 posts total since started one is 230 total I think, solidworks may be a strong interst for a few people. Very little applies to anythng for all of us.. Some big topics from the past were ATC privitation, FAA charges to EAA etc, discussios of night air show, etc.Whats the best topic you see today? Ill best Franks on building a Nueport 11 is pretty good.
    If 20 pilots sat down at the bar at Hilton what would you talk about? Which is the best cotter key? Did you know if you use 1/2 cotter keys instead of 9/16 in your homebulit it can be 11 ounces lighter and climb an inch per minute faster?
    Also, I tend to be a "spontaneous poster". If it's on my mind now, I like to discuss it. If I'm at Airventure, for example, I'll share things that I notice on social media as soon as I see it. However, I really have to want to be on a forum at that point. And by the time I get settled to the point that I would have the capacity to post something with substance, the moment has passed. Granted, I could post spur-of-the-moment things to this forum via Tapatalk from my mobile device. But if I want to have a thorough and meaningful discussion, then I have find decent wifi on the grounds, crank up my laptop, etc. Not many folks (in my age bracket, anyway) like to type out long, wordy diatribes on a mobile keyboard.

Another sign-of-the-times moment, I reckon. I don't technically qualify as a Millennial type, but I sure do have those tendencies
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 11-03-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313