Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obtaining Title for Data Plates

Obtaining Title for Data Plates

Hello everyone,

I was just offered a B-17 manufacturers data plate which has a history on the civil registry. I'd like to use it to build off of, but I'll need a title to do so. The airframe was scrapped 50 years ago, but the data plate was illegally removed during the early 50s when the aircraft was sitting as a display. Because it was removed illegally, there is no chain of title.

The current owner suggested that I attempt to get a new title. I'd like to know if this is possible, and what I will need to do in order to get it.

I would guess that this happens often with fighters, such as the P-51, so I'm hoping someone will have some experience here.

Thanks.

-Eli Josephs
    Fort Collins B-17

Does the paper trail end with the plane being reported as "Destroyed" ??

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Does the paper trail end with the plane being reported as "Destroyed" ??
    I beleive so, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Josephs View Post
    I was just offered a B-17 manufacturers data plate which has a history on the civil registry. I'd like to use it to build off of, but I'll need a title to do so.
    Am I reading this right? You're going to build a B-17 to go with the data plate?

I'm guessing you have several airframes and need a single entity to assemble the airplane.

Ron "And can I come watch?" Wanttaja

I beleive so, yes.
    The last registered owner would have to transfer title with an aircraft bill of sale, FAA Form 8050-2.

Looking at your info, I think what you plan to do is build an exact replica of a B-17G from scratch (using original drawings) and attach the dataplate from a different aircraft on the replica?

Good luck. That will be a tough sell to get the FAA on board.

Actually the aircraft might not be destroyed. Here is the last sheet I have:

It occurred to me that the other plate and some parts might be for sale by someone else, who I'll have to check with, but for now let's assume this plate is still the only surviving part. Either way, Aero Service Corp is long out of business.

As far as getting the FAA onboard, why should it be a bigger issue than building a data plate P-51? I have all the drawings, and if it passes airworthiness why should it be an issue?

EDIT: The person who might have had parts for this same aircraft recently sold his business, and the new owners won't be available until April 2018. I don't have a contact number either. I am, of course, talking of Jay Wisler at http://www.warbird-parts.com . If memory serves right he had a plate, paperwork, and parts for a 17 that was on the civil registry. I can't remember the serial or registration though.

Thanks,

EJ
    Last edited by Eli Josephs; 10-22-2017 at 11:26 AM.

You're in luck, in one way at least...looks like N5845N was deregistered in October of 1959, but the N-number has not yet been reassigned.

Ron Wanttaja

I doubt that Jay has this aircraft.

So, here's where I stand: I can't get a chain of title (previous owners are out of business, likely passed away). I'm not sure if the aircraft is officially listed as destroyed or not, because it supposedly crashed in Saudi Arabia (1959). With that as it is, is it possible to get a new title and re-register the N number?

Airplanes don't have titles, they have registrations, slightly different. I think you need a complete chain of bill of sales to get a current registration in your name.
    A simple data plate has no value, as far as I know. I had some Aeronca data plates and threw them away.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 10-22-2017 at 01:31 PM.

As far as getting the FAA onboard, why should it be a bigger issue than building a data pliate P-51? I have all the drawings, and if it passes airworthiness why should it be an issue?
    Go to para 4....

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...ar/AC43-17.pdf

I know what was done in the past and some of the stories are further embellished with each passing yr. but today what you suggest is simply not going to fly with the feds. You can’t manufacture a plane and install a data plate from another plane - legally anyway. Now, if you have a B17 with a data plate, you can repair that plane and it’s good to go.