Thread: Navworx Shut Down

Navworx Shut Down

Just got this this email from Seattle Avionics which was doing the upgrades for Navworx:

Effective immediately. Dallas Avionics, Inc. has discontinued distribution and support for all NavWorx products.

All pre-orders for NavWorx products, repairs and upgrades received by Dallas Avionics, Inc. will be canceled effective immediately.

Over the past year, Dallas Avionics, Inc. has made every attempt to facilitate the success of NavWorx and support of their customers. Unfortunately, under the current conditions and outlook, we can no longer continue to provide this service.

While we are compassionate to your situation, please direct all further correspondence direct to NavWorx at:

NavWorx, Incorporated
    3706 Big A Road
    Rowlett, TX 75089
    1-888-NAVWORX(628-9679)

Also, if you go to the Navworx site, it says they have ceased operations.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Looks like they expended more time, effort and capital to argue with the FAA, rather than fix the problems. There are a couple of AMOC's that fix the big problem with the GPS, but there were a number of software problems that need attention too. Navworx owners might get lucky and someone swoops in and picks up the pieces, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. Anything to do with Navworx is probably fairly toxic at the FAA right now.

The big question is this... Navworx apparently thought they had a compliant solution. Either that or they knew they didn't and just hoped not to get caught (the AmeriKing playbook), but let's assume they were up front and thought they were compliant. Then the FAA decided that no, they were not. I think there were some personality conflicts along the way that aggravated the situation, but in the end Navworx just got squashed flat.

So...

Who's next? Who else's GPS modules will the FAA decide are not good enough?

Late last year I was getting ready to order a Navworx box when the whole FAA debacle started. Given their response, or lack thereof, I decided to look at other solutions. I was again getting close to buying another vendor's product for ADS-B OUT. Now -- oh, hell no. I'm not buying diddly until probably December 2019.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Navworx knew this was coming almost since day one. The either thought they could snow their way through it or get things patched up or something. The "others" who might not be good enough have already been detected and dealt with. This is not like the FAA showed up yesterday and said "Hey, your GPS is no good." THis has been going on for a couple of years. Navworx didn't help their cause by pissing on the FAA in the process.

Soooooo.... I guess I'll have to tie a rope around my Navworx unit and use it as a boat anchor. Dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by FunInAviation View Post
    Soooooo.... I guess I'll have to tie a rope around my Navworx unit and use it as a boat anchor. Dang it.
    Wouldn't do that yet, as there are a couple of AMOC's to get you down the road for a while. Unfortunately, the software problems will most likely never get fixed. If I owned a Navworx unit, I would start planning and setting aside $ for a replacement in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Navworx knew this was coming almost since day one. The either thought they could snow their way through it or get things patched up or something. The "others" who might not be good enough have already been detected and dealt with. This is not like the FAA showed up yesterday and said "Hey, your GPS is no good." THis has been going on for a couple of years. Navworx didn't help their cause by pissing on the FAA in the process.
    Maybe... or maybe not.

I agree that the problems NavWorx experienced with the FAA were mostly or completely of their own making. Taking a combative approach with a regulatory agency is a good way to ensure they will not work with you, and will probably do their level best to put you out of business entirely. The FAA's AD announcement back in November, I think it was, wasn't enough to make me swear off ever dealing with NavWorx -- but the owner's response certainly was. And finding out that they switched GPS modules without bothering to tell the FAA about it, well, that's just not too terribly bright. It shows you're either dishonest or don't understand the process, either of which is kind of a disqualifying trait for manufacturing avionics.

But what we don't know is whether NavWorx actually thought they had a compliant solution, or was just hoping not to get caught (a pretty stupid approach). Given the past petulance of the owner I doubt very much we ever will know. And that's what has me concerned. There a few other manufacturers are using GPS sources that they claim "meet the performance requirements of 14 CFR 91.227". But lacking actual certification, how do we know that they actually do?

The picture may change quickly, but right now I feel that any of the lower cost options a pretty shaky bet.

The only AMOC that likely will happen is to feed the thing with a GPS that meets the requirements. I think it has the option to do that today. I suppose someone could change out the internal unit, but you will need to make software changes that DA is the only people who probably can make.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The only AMOC that likely will happen is to feed the thing with a GPS that meets the requirements. I think it has the option to do that today. I suppose someone could change out the internal unit, but you will need to make software changes that DA is the only people who probably can make.
    I don't think the EXP unit has that option. The other ones do, but the AMOC only allows some pretty pricey Garmin certified GPS navigators. If you already have one, it's going to be worth wiring it up... if you don't, you're better off scrapping the NavWorx unit and replacing it with something else. And of course if you bought the 600-EXP, well, you're probably just screwed.

Years ago I bought a Terra radio package including the transponder. Soon afterwards (maybe 3 months) I got a letter from Terra stating I had to send the transponder back for "upgrade" along with $200. Excuse me...the thing isn't even a year old and you're going to charge me to upgrade it? Why is aviation like this? I can have a 10 year old car or truck and if needs an upgrade just take to the dealer and they're upgrade it or fix the problem for free. Over the years I owned my Cherokee I spent a small fortune on avionics with radios, etc. After I sold it and started flying my Champ I decided only hand helds for now and guess what 'they don't breakdown'!
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!