Thread: United Thugs Firing

United Thugs Firing

Its been months but finally some resutls from the incident of United/Republic calling airport security to beat up a doctor/passenger on board a flight. The investigation admited the passenger was not a violent threat, and the head thug has been fired and the two others suspended. The cops were found not only to have attacked the passenger but to have lied about and omited facts in their reports on the incident. Trouble is the fired one can probably get a similar job elsewhere, wont have any jail time for assault or lose and of his salary or pension for the crime. The airline CEO still has his job, the multimillion dollar settlement was likely covered by insurance. Congress held hearings on this and other attacks on passengers but as for as I know hasnt made any new laws or anything to protect pasengers inthe future other than the power of public opinion and the bad press United received.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Its been months but finally some resutls from the incident of United/Republic calling airport security to beat up a doctor/passenger on board a flight. The investigation admited the passenger was not a violent threat, and the head thug has been fired and the two others suspended. The cops were found not only to have attacked the passenger but to have lied about and omited facts in their reports on the incident. Trouble is the fired one can probably get a similar job elsewhere, wont have any jail time for assault or lose and of his salary or pension for the crime. The airline CEO still has his job, the multimillion dollar settlement was likely covered by insurance. Congress held hearings on this and other attacks on passengers but as for as I know hasnt made any new laws or anything to protect pasengers inthe future other than the power of public opinion and the bad press United received.
    Looks more and more like the USA is being taken over by a "Police State". Where will it end?
    I do not see where United did anything wrong here, with the exception of a possible oversold flight. Possible because unplanned issues such as crew illness can necessitate replacement crew travel. Once the issue was reported to the TSA, United policy and procedures were out of the picture.
    The problem here was 100 percent passenger and government employee interaction. UAL was simply the forum upon which the incident occurred.
    Last edited by jedi; 10-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.

I'm glad that the attention finally turned to the Chicago Department of Aviation Police; their actions were reprehensible.

Jedi, yes, I think many people would see beating a senior citizen, a doctor, for nothing more than sitting in the airline seat that he and his wife had paid for, been confirmed on, boarded by United/Republic as something out of a poice state, but it was not the passenger who was the aggrssor. If you think the airline did nothing wrong, I dont think many people would agree with you. It was the airline, read it was United gate person, who called cops to attack passenger. If United had used pit bulls would you consider it all the dogs fault? The airline didnt overbook, they had seats for all confirmed passegers like the doctor and his wife. If they then wanted to gve free seats that were already assigned and occupied to the last minute employees, the only fair way would have been to offer to buy back enough seats and for real value not the few hundred$ of non cash credit offeed.

Hard to edit my post

If United thought they were right they could have gone to a fair trial , instead they settled quickly out out court for rumored $5 mllion, rather than have a judge or a jury of citizens take a look at their actioins. When Congress had a hearing for 5 airline CEOs after this and asked if any other airline had every beaten and injured a non violent normal passenger they all said no, this was the only case they knew of. The United CEO was the only one who tried to claim their actions were ok.

Hard to edit my post
    I find it difficult to do on a phone, somewhat easier on a tablet, fairly simple on a desktop PC. Note that, if you're logged in properly, you can use the PC to edit something you posted using another device.

On the PC, use the "Go Advanced" button. It's a lot easier when you can hit the "preview" and see exactly what your changes do.

Ron Wanttaja