Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Accuracy vs. Modern Sensibilities

To translate into non-curmudgeon, the Celtics cross was the insignia used by Norwegian nazis during the war, and is used by some extreme right-wing groups today. I understand the ban, though I had been unaware of it.

Ron "Google is your friend" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post

Here's my great uncles and their glider shortly before the war:

Oh, nice family photo. Charming. Thanks for sharing. How's your goose-step?

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    See my response in post #19.
    What?? I'm confused. I never even mentioned your name. I merely observed that the German Air Force currently uses the iron cross.

I did see your post (#14) but it didn't register... I didn't think the Celtic cross was banned anywhere. After doing some further searching, it looks like a particular perversion of it is indeed banned in Germany. The version used by those drooling idiots looks much more like crosshairs (appropriately, I might add) than an actual cross.

Silly me. When someone mentions a Celtic cross, I picture an actual Celtic cross, not... well... that thing.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    I had ancestors on both sides of the Revolution and the Civil War. Are you going to insult me, too? Take your best shot.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I am intrigued by what the scale modelers go in having the ability to use the swastika backwards. Still holds to the "history" without paying tribute of which there should be none. I am also curious about what percentage of people would even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    that is way out of line.

Boys, boys, boys... I took Mark's comment as a joke, in middlin' taste. Could'a used a smilie to be clear though.

Ron "Do you haff relatives in Churmany" Wanttaja

Frank's photo is incredible, and I'm insanely jealous. Best I could do is photos of relatives blotto in Irish pubs or Game and Fisheries mug shots. Though I'm hoping there's one of a Finnish cousin standing by a bunch of Russian heads in 1941.

Ron "ka iso hammi" Wanttaja

Vee know nothing!

I'm a little touchy about pictures of guys wearing those suits, because a bunch of guys just like them killed 10 percent of the population of the town I was born in. Of course, my mother wasn't one of those killed, or I wouldn't be here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heusden

"...In the early morning of 5 November (1944), three German army engineers detonated explosive charges they had placed earlier in the 40-metre tower. It collapsed, killing 134 people. Only hours later, the 5th battalion of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders from the 51st Highland Division liberated Heusden.
    Heusden was decimated. One tenth of the town's population died that night in the town hall cellars. Seventy-four victims, i.e. more than half of the total number, were children aged 16 or younger.
    Witnesses have stated[citation needed] that on 4 November German soldiers carried explosives into the town hall tower, and also into two churches, a windmill, and dairy factory in Heusden. NCO (non-commissioned officer) Bottnick, who was probably following orders from commander Pfühl, a mining engineer, undermined the eastern part of the tower, ensuring that it would collapse on the town hall, not on the street.
    Later, these events were investigated by the British Civil Affairs. However, this has never resulted in the trial and punishment of the war criminals Pfühl, Bottnick, and their accomplices...."

I'm not saying the guys in the photo had anything to do with it, but maybe I would have felt differently if the men shown in the photo had been wearing lederhosen.

And, to answer the original question, no, do not put swastikas on your airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    In future, do not attribute things to me that I did NOT say. Read a thread thoroughly before you make a comment that you seemingly think refutes something I said. Look at post #14.
    ?