Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Historical Accuracy vs. Modern Sensibilities

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
    I know of a Grunau Baby sailplane for which the restorer simply made two rudders--one with historically accurate swastica, and one plain. He simply changes the rudder to suit the context in which the aircraft is being operated or displayed. Because for something like this, a lot of the issue is context.
    I too would love to know the definition, according to this poster or the sailplane owner, of what constitutes a suitable context in which the swastika is used and displayed on the aircraft? A white supremist rally like Charlottesville perhaps? A neo-Nazi party picnic perhaps? An airshow sponsored by a Swiss Bank and attended by only Argentinian depositors perhaps?

Because as you said, "because for something like this, a lot of the issue is context." No s**t Sherlock!

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I too would love to know the definition, according to this poster or the sailplane owner, of what constitutes a suitable context in which the swastika is used and displayed on the aircraft? A white supremist rally like Charlottesville perhaps? A neo-Nazi party picnic perhaps? An airshow sponsored by a Swiss Bank and attended by only Argentinian depositors perhaps?
    Or an antique aircraft fly-in, especially one with judging involved.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Case 5 stems from a plane I saw over 30 years ago. Beautiful WWII German camouflage, including the swastika. On a Cessna 140.
    It struck me this morning that I'd probably taken a picture of that airplane...and that it had probably been stashed in an old photo album that I knew was still around.

And...it was:

That's a fighter paint job; the black dashes on the rudder are victory markings, and the wreath marks the award of the Knight's Cross for the shooting down of another 120 aircraft.

I assumed the red numbers on the side of the fuselage were the N-Number, and indeed, there's a Cessna 120 (not a 140) registered to N54JG. The paint job may have been inspired by the N-Number. JG (Jagdgeschwader) 54 was one of the top German fighter units in the war. It flew against the British in the Battle of Britain, against the Soviets in Operation Barbarossa, and flew cover for ME-262 operations near the end of the war.

I bet this is based on a specific ace's aircraft. However, it does not seem to carry the green heart logo of JG-54.

I'll admit it bothers me more today than it did back then. Picture taken in September 1981.

I looked up the N-Number, and see it's still registered...to someone at my home field! However, a picture taken in ~1998 shows it's been returned to a more conventional paint job. You wonder if the owner had had trouble trying to sell it.....

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 10-21-2017 at 12:05 PM.

ROn, look under the wing. The green heart is there.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    ROn, look under the wing. The green heart is there.
    You're right...I had dismissed it as a variation in the camouflage.

Ron "Blind pretty early on a Saturday" Wanttaja

So the Cessna is painted as the Group Commander of the first group JG54.

The question of the Hakenkreuz is, I suppose a matter of taste. If I were building a small scale model, then I would (and have) put one on. Similarly for a flying model. (I had a nice Cox Stuka as a kid.) Full scale historic replica or type aircraft (e.g., a Nord made Bf-108) is another issue that I don't have a good answer for. I call to mind a line from "How to succeed in business without really trying." "You eat for yourself, but dress to please others." So what is the message you are sending? (You are sending one whether you mean to or not.)

As for me, some years ago I made my only effort at building an airplane: a pedal plane for my sons. I couldn't resist when I saw the planform of the "Scorpion" and modified it to a Bf-109E. Group commander, 2d Gruppe of an un-identified unit late summer/fall 1940. I struggled some time over the tail fin. Hakenkruez just seemed wrong for a kid's plaything. I thought of a black diamond or the red/white/black that was the official mark before the mandatory switch to the party symbol. In the end I just left it blank.

Name:  IMG_0057.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  96.0 KB
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    As for me, some years ago I made my only effort at building an airplane: a pedal plane for my sons. I couldn't resist when I saw the planform of the "Scorpion" and modified it to a Bf-109E. Group commander, 2d Gruppe of an un-identified unit late summer/fall 1940. I struggled some time over the tail fin. Hakenkruez just seemed wrong for a kid's plaything. I thought of a black diamond or the red/white/black that was the official mark before the mandatory switch to the party symbol. In the end I just left it blank.
    Dunno, Chris...doesn't look just right blank, either. Need to add SOME sort of logo to the tail.....

Ron "Hail Hydra" Wanttaja

So Ron would appreciate the small SHIELD logo tucked away on my plane....

I would hate to have to explain why I painted my C140 in German colors to a WWII veteran.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Ron::-)!

Frank: I suppose it depends which side the WW2 vet was on in the war. But, as Ron stated above, these are different times now, and so many people are looking to be offended.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    What's the typical context in which he installs the swastika tail?
    I don't really know. But I'd think it would be appropriate for, say, a museum exhibit about the social and technical contributions of gliding to an impoverished inter-war Germany, and how it became the foundation of Goering's Luftwaffe.
    Bob Kuykendall
    HP-24 kit sailplane project

HP-24 Project Facebook Page
    http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
    EAA Technical Counselor